Configuration profiles on 10.7.4

zmbarker
Contributor

Are there other people having issues with configuration profiles?

I am new to JAMF so there maybe something I am doing wrong. I have worked with the JAMF support and they can replicate the problem I am having in their test environment, but I thought I would ask all of you.

I have been having issues with some of the configuration profile payloads being applied.

BACKGROUND:
All clients are 10.7.+ so JAMF recommended not to waste time on Managed Preferences and just setup everything with Conf. Profiles.
JAMF server is a Windows 2008 server. NO MAC server.
Computers and Users are NOT bond to Active Directory or any other Directory Service.
Most end-users are Local Administrators because we had no central management on our MAC's. If this JAMF software management works then that will change.

So here is what is happening:
EXAMPLES:
I have created 1 config profile with multiple payloads. Yes, I have also tried breaking each payload into its own config profile. Both ways have the same results.
Config profile is being applied at Computer-Level only.

PROFILE SETTINGS:
LOGIN WINDOW Payload
WINDOW TAB -- (Heading=NAME), (Message=blank),(Style=NAME & PASSWORD),(Show Shutdown button=UNchecked)
OPTIONS TAB -- (Show Pass Hint=checked),(Enable Auto Login=UNchecked),(Enable Console=checked),(fast switching=UNchecked),(Logout=UNchecked),(Computer Admin=UNchecked),(Set Computername=UNchecked),(Enable Ext acct=checked),(AllowGuest=UNchecked),(Screensaver=checked=30min)
SCOPE=INDIVIDUAL Computers

I do not run any installs on the client to install the profiles. My understanding is they are installed Automatically.

RESULTS:
Profiles get automatically pushed to the computers and the Profiles appear in Sys Pref. But SOME not all settings get applied.
APPLIED: Name and Password, Shut down button is gone, Show Pass Hint, Fast switching, NOT APPLIED:
Auto Login is still Enabled
Guest is still active
Screensaver does not change time

I am sure there will be more issues but I have stopped with these changes since these changes don't work properly.

3 REPLIES 3

tls2t
New Contributor II

I also have some issues with configuration profiles, with mapping network shares. It worked the first time, and didn't work after that. Even some issues with putting a heading on the login screen.

I do a lot of configuring with managed preferences, as there are a LOT of things you can do with it, that you can't (or that I haven't been able to figure out) with configuration profiles, so my environment is a hybrid of MCX and config profiles.

frozenarse
Contributor II

I was 100% convinced to skip MCX and use Profiles just like you. After running into a number of situations where Profiles fell short, I switched my position and am going with MCX.

Not the answer you are looking for, but I just feel like Profiles just isn't ready for action yet.

jhbush
Valued Contributor II

We are using a combo solution as well just not utilizing the jamf profiles yet. I use a profile I made myself with ipcu to configure radius and our certificates. The other settings I use jamf/local mcx method. It works well I would like to switch to using only profiles, but I don't think things are quite mature enough yet.