Could not mount a distribution point

golbiga
Contributor III
Contributor III

I noticed a machine this morning having an issue mounting our distribution point. I remoted in and triggered the policy that was supposed to run with the verbose flag and I'm getting the following error.

verbose: Result of mount attempt: mount_afp: AFPMountURL returned error 13, errno is 13 - The operation couldn’t be completed. (com.jamfsoftware.core.errors error 13.)
verbose: Result code of mount attempt: 13
Error: Could not mount a distribution point.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Allen

12 REPLIES 12

rtrouton
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Can you reboot the box having problems? That's usually an effective fix when it comes to problems mounting network shares.

golbiga
Contributor III
Contributor III

Not right now, but I'll reach out to the user and see if he can.

Thanks
Allen

golbiga
Contributor III
Contributor III

Reboot did not work.

franton
Valued Contributor III

Can you run the following command and let us know what it reports?

sudo defaults read /Library/Preferences/com.apple.AppleShareClient afp_disabled_uams

Joel_Peasley
Contributor
Contributor

Can you manually mount that share using one of the accounts listed in the JSS>>Settings>>Servers>>Edit the Problem DP>>File Sharing Tab? If you are unable to mount it manually the best thing to do is reset the passwords for both of those accounts and then re-enter them in the JSS.

Thanks,
Joel

golbiga
Contributor III
Contributor III

@franton here is what I see when I look at com.apple.AppleShareClient.plist on that machine.

/usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c Print /Library/Preferences/com.apple.AppleShareClient.plist
Dict {
    afp_disabled_uams = Array {
        DHX2
    }
}

franton
Valued Contributor III

Hrm. It could be that you need to enable more authentication methods on your client macs.

See if this kb helps you. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4700

shakim
New Contributor III

Was it working before? Is there any other shares hosted on your Distribution Point server?

golbiga
Contributor III
Contributor III

I've only seen this happen on a handful of machines and we have over 2000 macs

golbiga
Contributor III
Contributor III

@Joel.Peasley I tried manually mounting the share from the command line on the machine that is failing. I get this error, mount_afp: AFPMountURL returned error 13, errno is 13.

I'm able to successfully mount the share from my machine.

golbiga
Contributor III
Contributor III

Looks like it was that com.apple.AppleShareClient.plist file after all. Once I moved it out, the machine was able to mount the distribution point. Thanks.

franton
Valued Contributor III

Yeah that file controls which authentication methods are allowed to be used. 10.8 by default restricts this to DHX2. In the tech note I linked, it's possible to reprogram it to allow more. Comes in handy for dealing with Novell AFP which is still stuck at v.2 level of AFP.