Creating a Lion Image

Not applicable

Hello, Everyone!

I hate to ask such a basic question, but I've hit a brick wall. I've been trying for weeks now to create a lion image and I've gotten nowhere.

Would anyone mind walking me through creating a working lion configuration?

I've tried using the InstallESD.dmg. The imagine compiles fine, but upon first boot, the machine boots to the recovery partition, not a working Lion install.

Is there some sort of script I have to include in the configuration?

Thanks for any help that you can provide!

Ryan J. Atkisson
Information Technology
University of South Florida
(813) 974-3874

8 REPLIES 8

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

I just compiled mine in Casper admin.

Seems fine so far.

Regards,

Ben.

golbiga
Contributor III
Contributor III

Ryan,

This is how I do it.

1. Create a config and make sure that management is shut off.
  2. That config should consist of the OS Installer, Updates, Printers, Java (anything you want in your Base OS).
  3. Compile the config - after it's finished you should have a DMG in Compiled Configurations on your CasperShare.
  4. From the finder goto Compiled Configurations and Copy the DMG to your desktop.
  5. Now copy that DMG from your desktop to Casper Admin. You now have a BaseOS that has never been booted up much like you would get from InstaDMG, but with the Recovery Partition and you can apply that to any new Configuration.

If you don’t care about the Recovery Partition, you can also use InstaDMG/InstaUp2Date to create a Base OS.

Thanks
Allen

bentoms

Ryan,

To elaborate, I actually follow Allens methodology as per the below.

Regards,

Ben.

ImAMacGuy
Valued Contributor II

I use this method as well, then layer the latest and greatest service pack on top of it.

Should note, that apple seemed to release a rolled up 10.7.1 installESD via the App Store, so you can just download that - no need to keep layering the Service Packs on top like you had to do with 10.6.

John Wojda

Lead System Engineer, DEI & Mobility

3333 Beverly Rd. B2-338B

Hoffman Estates, IL 60179

Phone: (847)286-7855

Page: (224)532.3447

Team Lead DEI: Matt Beiriger <mailto:mbeirig at searshc.com;jwojda at searshc.com?subject=John%20Wojda%20Feedback&body=I%20am%20contacting%20you%20regarding%20John%20Wojda.>

Team Lead Mobility: Chris <mailto:cstaana at searshc.com;jwojda at searshc.com?subject=John%20Wojda%20Feedback&body=I%20am%20contacting%20you%20regarding%20John%20Wojda.> Sta Ana

Mac Tip/Tricks/Self Service & Support <http://bit.ly/gMa7TB>

“Any time you choose to be inflexible in your approach to an unpredictable project you are already building failure into your plan”

Not applicable

Very odd.

I've followed Allen's steps below, but upon reboot, the machine boots to the recovery partition. When I hold opt at boot, I see that the internal drive is labeled "Recovery HD". It seems to be completely skipping the OS installer step.

This is all very frustrating.

It's a lot to ask, but would anyone mind hosting a OS Installer (created through InstaDMG or otherwise) that I can download and try?

Ryan J. Atkisson
Information Technology
(813) 974-3874

bentoms

you compiling on a 10.7 mac?

Not applicable

Yes. I've compiled on a 10.7 mac.

Luckily, I was FINALLY able to get a working image. I installed Lion on an external HD, removed the recovery partition using diskutil in terminal, and created a DMG of the HD using CCC. I threw that DMG in Casper Admin and used it as my base image.

Thanks to everyone who helped! It's greatly appreciated!

Ryan J. Atkisson
Information Technology
(813) 974-3874

Not applicable

To all,

Sorry for the late post, but if I get the gist of this email, creating a Lion .dmg file was an issue. Here is a link that might make that a lot easier (find the .dmg file and create a bootable Lion OS disk):

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/18/make-an-os-x-lion-boot-disc/

Best,

Roy