Creating a smart group for systems not compatible with Big Sur

coldconfession1
New Contributor II

Hello I'm still learning. I have created a smart group with systems that were compatible with Big Sur which I got this value

(MacBook(10|9|8)|MacBookAir(10|[6-9])|MacBookPro1[1-7]|Macmini[7-9]|MacPro[6-7]|iMacPro1),\d|iMac(14,4|1[5-9],\d|20,\d)

I was wondering how I could get the opposite of it. Like create a smart group with systems that aren't compatible with Big Sur. I'm still new to this well at least with the regex stuff on finding the hardware. Thank you any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ljcacioppo
Contributor III

You can clone the smart group and just change the qualifier to does not match regex and have that same regex as the compatible computers in the criteria and it would show you computers that are incompatible.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

ljcacioppo
Contributor III

You can clone the smart group and just change the qualifier to does not match regex and have that same regex as the compatible computers in the criteria and it would show you computers that are incompatible.

jschank
Contributor

Can anyone assist with adding the new iMac to this regex?  We have a few Apple M1's iMac (24-inch,M1,2021). Model Identifier:iMac21,1.  Not sure how to fix by adjusting the regex.  Any help would be appreciated.

(MacBook(10|9|8)|MacBookAir(10|[6-9])|MacBookPro1[1-7]|Macmini[7-9]|MacPro[6-7]|iMacPro1),\d|iMac(14,4|1[5-9],\d|20,\d)

skeenan07
New Contributor III

@jschank This will match the iMac model identifier:

(MacBook(10|9|8)|MacBookAir(10|[6-9])|MacBookPro1[1-7]|Macmini[7-9]|MacPro[6-7]|iMacPro1),\d|iMac(14,4|1[5-9],\d|2[0-1],\d)

kgam
Contributor

This one can be used for macOS Monterey.

It's reversed so it will match all systems NOT compatible with Monterey so no need to modify it when new models are released.

(iMac[1-9],\d|iMac1[0-5],[0-4]|MacBook[1-8],\d|MacBookAir[1-6],\d|MacBookPro[1-9],\d|MacBookPro[01]{2},[0-3]|Macmini[1-6],\d|^MacPro[1-5],\d)

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

awesome.  Using this for smart group for finding all compatible with Monterey.

I don't know whey JAMF doesn't build in their own smart groups for macOS compatibility for us to use.

poulsrevenge
New Contributor II

Thank you, you saved a lot of my time!

fabianhartmann
New Contributor II

I updated @kgam's regex to list Ventura incompatible devices:

(iMac[1-9],\d|iMac1[0-7],[0-4]|MacBook[1-9],\d|MacBookAir[1-7],\d|MacBookPro[1-9],\d|MacBookPro[01][0-3],[0-5]|Macmini[1-7],\d|^MacPro[1-6],\d)

AVmcclint
Honored Contributor

I just discovered that the new Macs released this year have a different ModelIdentifier scheme. This may put false positives in your smart group depending on how you build your regex. Unfortunately I am a complete regex idiot, but I can add "Architecture Type = arm64" to the compatible smart group. 

mani2care
Contributor

How can I filter the model year I want to filter 2017 and above model Mac?