Custom Login Image - macOS Catalina

matthewstraub
New Contributor II

In our computer labs, we always set a custom image to be displayed as the background of the login screen. From what I understand with Catalina, that folder is now located in the Read-Only partition. I have found several solutions online describing workarounds, but many of them are labor-intensive (disabling sips, booting into recovery mode, making changes, then re-enabling sips). Just wondering if anyone has found any way to automate this process, rather than manually manipulating on each machine.

Thanks!

Matt Straub | Senior Engineer
8 REPLIES 8

thebrucecarter
Contributor II

In addition to whatever you do in the meantime, bugreport this as a feature request to Apple Engineering.

sharriston
Contributor III

Could you use NoMAD Login? Thats we do on our lab machines just have NoMAD Login setup with a custom background image, it works with Catalina in my testing so far.

matthewstraub
New Contributor II

Interesting point about using NoMAD. I haven't tested that, but there is a possibility that might work to solve our problems. Thanks for the suggestion.

Matt Straub | Senior Engineer

sharriston
Contributor III

I feel like I post this all the time but @nstrauss has a great primer on how to get started. Hope this helps.

Hugonaut
Valued Contributor II

Granted if you utilize Filevault Encryption, the Login Window will still be the default Catalina background, but once you're past that, NoMad Login works fine & looks great!

I also suggest using NoMad Login! Good Luck!

Virtual MacAdmins Monthly Meetup - First Friday, Every Month

PE2000
Contributor

Hi

were you able to find a good solution?

I am also having a bit of trouble setting up NoMAD login wallpaper.

Thanks!

maurits-pro
New Contributor II

You cannot change the 'default' file from macOS anymore in recent versions of macOS. (which is used to create the user's default desktop)
Have you looked into desktoppr (maybe in combination with outset)?
https://github.com/scriptingosx/desktoppr
https://github.com/chilcote/outset

PE2000
Contributor

Do i need to use Both Desktopper and Outset for NoMAD login wallpaper or Just Desktopper?

Thanks!