DEP enrollment hanging

a_simmons
Contributor II

When I add a Mac to the DEP and configure it over wifi, the Remote Management screen will appear for around 10 seconds and then start installing the enrollment policies.

However, if I use the ethernet to configure the Mac it takes a lot longer to get past the Remote Management screen, it can hang for 5-10 minutes before installing the enrollment policies.

I was wondering if anyone has seem this before and would have any tips to resolve it.

ea4551697b554f1eb12781d63d535bac

14 REPLIES 14

jmahlman
Valued Contributor

We have this issue as well. It can take anywhere between 30 seconds and 3 minutes to complete. Haven't figured out why yet.

By any chance do you have an account getting created at enrollment?

a_simmons
Contributor II

No I have Skip Account Creation selected.

mconners
Valued Contributor

Hello @jmahlman and @a.simmons we had the same issue and as it turns out, there were a TON of MDM commands in a pending or failed state. After speaking with Jamf Support, they offered me the commands needed to run on the JSS to clear all of these commands from the JSS. Apparently this is a known issue and the manual clearing of the commands is a work around for the time being.

I now clear the commands every couple of weeks to keep things cleaned up and now the enrollment that you mentioned is so much faster.

jmahlman
Valued Contributor

Okay, so it IS tied to the pending MDM commands PI..the one that's been open for 2+ years. Yay. /s

mconners
Valued Contributor

To be honest @jmahlman, I couldn't tell you definitively if this is tied directly to the PI we have talked about, but I can tell you, when I clear those commands out, everything is really fast, relatively speaking.

MrRoboto
Contributor III

Before clearing the pending MDM commands it takes 10 minutes to get passed this screen, after clearing it takes seconds. Until this is resolved we will have to clear the commands regularly.

jmahlman
Valued Contributor

https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/discussions/22801/pending-commands-itunes-profiles

a_simmons
Contributor II

Try putting the pause script in as the first script that runs using the enrollment trigger. Worked for us

https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/discussions/26254/zero-touch-dep-pausing-policies-that-run-on-enrollment-complete-until-setup

epomelow
New Contributor III

We had DEP enrollment work great prior to upgrading machines to 10.13.4+ and jamf pro 10.3 taking roughly 30-45 seconds and then on startup, launch DEPNotify to display the tasks. I have found since upgrading (and now testing 10.5 in dev) that during that enrollment phase the enrollmentComplete trigger is running policies in the background. I will have to try that link @a.simmons posted and see if that helps make the process more reliable.

perryd
Contributor

Hi,

I'm seeing this exact same problem. I recently renewed the licence on our jamfcloud instance and in doing so found the dep token had expired along with a lot of other certs.

I renewed everything and its all talking and working as it should except for DEP enrolments.

The machine picks up the DEP enrolment but gets no further than the Remote Management screen.

I can see in the JSS that the computer is added but no profiles or policies run.

Really stumped and need help if possible!

alexjdale
Valued Contributor III

Similar issue here. I've been testing with enrollment after initial setup, since I can quickly try again.

What I'm seeing is that the device starts to enroll, and says "enrolling..." indefinitely in terminal. It will create the management account (or warn that it already exists) and then nothing happens. Self Service isn't downloaded, etc.

If I run "sudo jamf policy" that will kick it into completing, and enrollment finishes as expected and all policies are invoked properly. Otherwise it will create the JSS record, but without inventory information (that a recon would provide) and it sits in a semi-enrolled state. Totally unusable.

perryd84
Contributor II

@mconners Could you share the commands Jamf gave you? We have a ton of Macs that all of a sudden are having this issue again hanging at DEP enrolment.

mconners
Valued Contributor

@perryd84 I am sorry, I don't recall. When we ran those commands, it was a complete one off. In fact, I want to believe it was something done via their Web Ex chat to address a specific issue at the time. I would suggest reaching out to Jamf Support, to ensure you have the exact same problem, then what commands to rectify.

perryd84
Contributor II

Thanks @mconners I do currently have a couple of tickets open with Jamf regarding pending profiles and our prestage hanging at applying profiles. Not getting anywhere with support at the moment so doing my own investigations along side.
Thanks anyway!