Deploying MacOS updates to clientes

robbo007
New Contributor III

Hi,
Whats the best way to deploy or force that macOS updates get installed on all the macs?

At present I've setup a policy which has the software update payload activated and with a user interaction message allowing the users to defer up 72 hours. This runs on checking once a day.

What I've seen is the interracial message is always displayed when the policy is run, ie once a day. I need to allow users to defer the reboot once the updates have been deployed if needed. Also most users don't reboot every day so this seems the only way I can force them to reboot without affecting their work too much.

Any ideas?

2 REPLIES 2

rhooper
Contributor III

@robbo007 , can you create a smart group that checks for the version number of the OS, for example "Like 10.15.7" or "11.2.3"?
I think this gets you any that need the update vs ones that already have a current version. Any that have the Like version are not added to the policy, unless I am missing something.

robbo007
New Contributor III

OK thanks. I just thought of something. Will this upgrade MacOS to a superior version? IE if the user is on Mojave will it automatically install Catalina?
I just configured a configuration profile to disable "MacOS updates" which should stop this right? Still seems a bit of a (excuse the pun) patched way of patching MacOS :(