Disable Airplay and Mirroring from Student Macbooks

Morningside
Contributor II

In my school, there is no reason why student computers should be able to mirror their screen to anything. Yet somehow they have founds ways to do so. I would like to do the following three things, via config profile, policy, or script, if possible:

1. Prevent the shortcut to the Displays system preferences pane from appearing on the Menu Bar. Reason being, even when this system preference pane is disabled, accessing it through the menu bar shortcut takes you to a non-disabled Displays preferences. Same is true with the Sounds pane.

2. Prevent the Displays pane from being accessed via a search in Spotlight. Even when you have Displays hidden on the system preferences pane, and disabled, a student can search for it via spotlight, and it opens and is usable by the students. 

3. Permanently disable the ability to Mirror the display to anywhere. Since a student can access the Displays pane no matter what, it would be nice to at least prevent them from mirroring their display.

Any thoughts on this? 

6 REPLIES 6

ega
Contributor III

@Morningside Look at 

https://github.com/Jamf-Custom-Profile-Schemas/ProfileManifestsMirror/blob/main/manifests/ManifestsA...

title: Allow List,
description: List of MAC addresses of AirPlay destinations that the device is restricted to. If this list is empty, the device can connect to any device.,

However if you set the list to like AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF which is bogus then should effectively stop airplay.

Different way to solve the problem but might work.

This looks perfect. I'd love to try this as I think it would render all the other concerns I had about airplay moot. However, this appears to be a json file and I have no idea how to turn that into a config profile in Jamf!  Any pointers on that front?

Thank you for the link to the step through. I went through the step by step and added AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF as the only allowed destination but it is not working on the test device in the configuration profiles scope. Have you used this successfully yourself? I must be missing something!

ega
Contributor III

I have used a single real device like the MAC address of a spare desktop on our network

that won't display.  You might try that.  Also look at the plist view of the custom profile to make sure nothing extra is set that might cause issues

Morningside
Contributor II

Unfortunately this didn't work for me. Still trying to figure out how to get this to work because this would be the perfect solution if I can get it working!