Disable New MS Teams

Wgphoto
New Contributor III

Hey, guys. I'd like to disable New Teams in our environment, at least until we can test properly for stability and features. seems this is auto-installing on our Macs. We were able to disable New Outlook (and the toggle in classic Outlook), when that became a thing via config profile and 1 key setting. I have looked, and have not been able to find, a schema for teams. Is there something I'm missing? Below is key that was used for Outlook. Thanks in advance.

<key>EnableNewOutlook</key>
    <integer>0</integer>
5 REPLIES 5

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@Wgphoto I don't have an answer on how to block it, but you might want to accelerate your testing of New Teams because Microsoft is planning on automatically updating all users still on Classic Teams to New Team after 2024-03-31: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/new-teams-automatic-upgrade-announced

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

The new Teams is a new app, not just an update to the existing one. Microsoft split the application into "Microsoft Teams classic "and just "Microsoft Teams".

If it's auto installing, it's probably coming from the Microsoft Auto Update.app. You can control which applications get auto updated within that tool using a custom Configuration Profile (there's a built in profile manifest from Jamf to do this).

I turned off auto updating for Teams recently to prevent our environment from automatically getting the new Teams until we're ready for it. It seems to have stopped any installs, for now at least. This of course means that any updates for Teams classic is now on us to update manually using the provided installer packages, but I'm ok with that. You'll have to decide if that works for you.

To do this, you have to remove Teams from the list of apps that are managed by Microsoft Auto Update.

Screen Shot 2024-01-25 at 10.25.50 AM.png

Now, I can't say for sure what will happen once MS decides everyone needs to be using the new Teams as per @sdagley, but it gives us a little breathing room to complete our readiness for it at the very least. Good luck!

adonboli
New Contributor III

Hey @Wgphoto

Microsoft has released the new Microsoft Teams (work or school) app also referred to as Microsoft Teams 2.0 to the general community and starting March 31st, all gov/enterprise environment are going to get forced to switch over to the new one. 

The old "Microsoft Teams classic" will cease to function, and will prompt users to switch to the new Teams application. 

As others have mentioned, the new "Teams" is a completely re-write and a brand-new application with a new Bundle ID "com.microsoft.teams2", for refernce the current "classic" one used "com.microsoft.teams". 

You will need new PPPC and any other configuration profile/settings for the new Teams to function properly, assuming you use these features in Jamf for the classic applciation. 

To answer your main question now: 

Microsoft Teams (work or school) can only be "turned off" -- which at this point is only until March 31st, from the Microsoft Teams tenant. This cannot be done via configuration profiles on the local machines or through Jamf.

Hope this information helps. 

For more info: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/new-teams-mac-install-prerequisites 

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

I ran this down a few months back. Unlike Outlook, Microsoft does not provide a management domain for Teams that MDM can use to manage the client. All Team's management is handled by the Teams Admin console, including enabling or disabling New Teams.

Microsoft told us a few months ago they plan on forcing all environments over to new Teams late 1st quarter. I would suggest getting your testing out of the way. If you have further needs regarding Teams, reach out to your M365 admin or your Microsoft TAM.

obi-k
Valued Contributor II