Disable or Turn Off S/MIME for everyone

Jonathanjo
New Contributor

I'm looking to Disable/turn Off SMIME to everyone via Jamf. So far the research just ended up here!!

This doesn't helped,

defaults read com.microsoft.Outlook DisableSMIMECompose 1

End goal is that Users shouldn't use the feature at all, unfortunately we cant remove SMIME Cert that creates problem for the older emails that encrypted using it!

Any help please...!

3 REPLIES 3

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@Jonathanjo The "defaults read" line doesn't set the DisableSMIMECompose value, it reads it. You'd use "defaults write..." to set the value.

That said, instead of writing a script to set that flag, which would not prevent your users from changing it, you should use a Configuration Profile with an Applications & Custom Settings payload for the com.microsoft.Outlook domain with the following .plist:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
  <dict>
    <key>DisableSMIMECompose</key>
    <true/>
  </dict>
</plist>

Jonathanjo
New Contributor

Ahh I didn't noticed that 'read' instead of 'write'. Thanks @sdagley for correcting me.

I'll try this out way.

Is there any way to disable 'Digital Signing' too? 

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@Jonathanjo You can see the different options for Outlook at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployoffice/mac/preferences-outlook

The easiest way to configure those in Jamf Pro is via a Configuration profile using the following steps:

1. Create a new Configuration Profile
  2. Configure the General Settings for the profile (Name, Level: Computer Level, Distribution Method: Install Automatically)
  3. Select the Applications & Custom Settings item in the payload list, then select External Applications (Source: Jamf Repository, Application Domain: com.microsoft.Outlook, Version: 16.57, Variant: Microsoft Outlook.json)
  4. The default for the Preference Domain Properties section is to not show all options, so click the Add/Remove Properties button to see the possible options.
  5. The Disable Microsoft 365 encryption options item may be the one you're looking for.