DisplayLink and 10.13.4

sbirdsley
Contributor

FYI....

Per DisplayLink

Important Information about macOS 10.13.4 update We have become aware that installing macOS release Version 10.13.4 will cause DisplayLink connected displays to go blank after the OS upgrade, with the current DisplayLink driver [4.1] installed. Functionality such as Ethernet and audio, where implemented, is unaffected. We have alerted Apple to this issue and are working hard to find a resolution. These features continue to work as expected in 10.13.3. In the meantime, we have a new driver [4.3] that will enable clone mode, but not mirror or extended mode displays in 10.13.4. If you require mirror or extended mode displays, we recommend that you stay on macOS 10.13.3 or earlier at this time.
12 REPLIES 12

PhillyPhoto
Valued Contributor

We use them for our Targus docks. Thanks for the heads up!

daniel_ross
Contributor III

Curious how fast updates will start hitting the internet for things like this. Haven't seen it happen to our OWC docks but we did have one user with the DisplayLink dock have this issue.

Andrew_Rogers
New Contributor II

I am VERY interested in what DisplayLink is going to do. I have seen multiple articles claiming 10.13.4 permanently disables extended monitors using the DisplayLink driver. DisplayLink made a statement about working on it back in Feb and then an update first week of May saying mirroring will work but that is all and people should just use 10.13.3... I have 1200 users with Dell D600 Docks. My confidence is NOT high... Anyone have an alternative that supports Thunderbolt 3, 2 external displays and has gigabit ethernet for less than $300? Anyone have any more information from DisplayLink?

sdamiano
Contributor II

@Andrew.Rogers We use CalDigit's USB-C dock in our environment. It's $150 and as far as I can tell it uses DisplayPort because it only supports 1 display. This is a limitation in how Apple deployed USB-C/Thunderbolt 3.

joshuasee
Contributor III

We got hit hard by this (of course 10.13.4 deploys the day I go on vacation), and I don't think there are any great solutions out there. The best workaround has been simply cabling the monitors without DisplayLink, which means MacBook Air users wanting multiple external displays are out of luck. I've tried, and failed, to get MST to work even on "supported" machines and monitors. The Matrox DualHead devices may placate a few users wanting to run multiple monitors off one port, but they're limited and pricey.

PhillyPhoto
Valued Contributor

@joshuasee MST on Macs is only for driving high-res displays. It is NOT for daisy-chaining like is available on other OSes. Just another example of Apple not fully embracing the available technology...

Bernard_Huang
Contributor III

Is DisplayLink still broken for 10.13.5?
I just tried our Macbook on High Sierra 10.13.5 and displaylink 4.1 (I don't trust beta anything).
Still not happy :( no external display.

sbirdsley
Contributor

Yes I believe it is outside the "workaround" and using AirPlay with the Beta driver

rwinfie
Contributor

Just tested the Beta on 10 10.13.6 boxes. Monitors comeback after a reboot no issue thus far

ClassicII
Contributor III

Extended display only works on 10.14 beta 5 and above.

For 10.13.6 you can only use mirrored display with the airplay workaround.

AndreasRumpl
New Contributor III

@Andrew.Rogers Due to the lack of "nice" solutions and as we had the need to quickly deploy the TB3-books in late 2016, we settled with this docking station:
https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/accessories-and-monitors/docking/universal-cable-docks-thunderbolt/Thunderbolt-Dock-US/p/40AC0135US

It has Gigabit Ethernet, USB 3, it charges the Macbook Pros (60W, which is also enough for real life use of our 15" devices), and is enabled to support two external displays. The only drawback is that you can connect only one display directly via e.g. an HDMI or DP cable and the second display needs to be connected through, e.g. an USB C to DisplayPort / HDMI cable.

It is a solution that has served us pretty well during the last 1.5 years and is also below 300$ even with the additional adapter cable :)

Andrew_Rogers
New Contributor II

@AndreasRumpl The Lenovo dock was one we looked at. After a couple weeks of testing we have settled on the Kensington SD5200 Thunderbolt 3 dock and so far we are very happy. It does everything we need it to do for the Macs and as a bonus, it will handle power delivery for PCs as well so it can do double duty in a pinch. It is globally available and our unit cost after some haggling was less than $250. Bye DisplayLink...