Dont allow connection to hidden WiFi

Martin_Stegner
New Contributor II

Hello everybody,

We would like to establish a WiFi for Deployment. This WiFi should not be allowed to access after the Deployment.

My idea is, to make this WiFi hidden, so not everybody knows it existed. Is there a possibility to refuse the Connection to hidden WiFis via Configuration Profiles? Or can I delete a specific WiFi Profile somehow?

6 REPLIES 6

user-kfZNJWqtOu
New Contributor

I built a script I used that would add and then remove before/after deployment (just easier launching from usb than typing) and later on managed wifi back to only acceptable networks when troubleshooting over ARD. I'm not longer involved in deployment and I can't find my script quickly.

At a key base level I think it was something like: sudo networksetup -removepreferredwirelessnetwork en1 your_wifi_SSID_name

But I also find these which seem may be close and you could adapt.

https://jacobsalmela.com/2015/02/27/bash-script-remove-an-ssid-from-the-preferred-network-list/

https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/discussions/28772/script-to-remove-them-from-wifi-and-add-them-back

Append the usually caveats about scripting. I hope it helps.

Martin_Stegner
New Contributor II

Ok, I maybe should have mentioned that I need it for iPadOS.

matthias_bretz
New Contributor III

As far as I know there is no solution to this as Apple would need to implement a management key for this.
I'm personally waiting for one to disallow unencrypted networks or WEP, but no luck yet.

sirsir
Contributor

You could create a "fake" WiFi configuration profile and put in the wrong credentials to connect to the network (even if its not secure) and that should stop the device from connection automagically.

Martin_Stegner
New Contributor II

Ok, thats an idea, but wouldnt end it up in bringing up error messages or warnings on den device?

sirsir
Contributor

@Martin.Stegner In testing I haven't experienced any errors logged in as an end user.