duplicate computer records in the JSS

lisacherie
Contributor II

Anyone else seeing duplicate computer records?

Still on 9.62 here.. Doing some spring cleaning of the inventory before renewal.

This is how I found them, some of them appeared to be recent additions.

select serial_number, count(*) as count from computers_denormalized group by serial_number having count(*) > 1;
6 REPLIES 6

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

We've had the opposite a few times. Computers that are present when we do an API query but not in the web interface. I was told by JAMF that the information is stored in more than one table and they are supposed to be kept in sync.

From this I've taken to contacting JAMF support when something "weird" happens as they know the ins and outs of the database structure and why some of these things happen.

lisacherie
Contributor II

Once I have the list of serials, I've been searching each serial via the GUI.
Sure enough two records, one which has not checked in for an extended period, one actively checking in and submitting updates. (Both have unique JSS computer IDs).

So far once the old record is deleted via the GUI has been OK.

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

I've had that a couple of times before. One cause was during enrollment. Creating a placeholder record and then something going wrong and it getting duplicated. In fact now I think about it, I'm sure that was one of the bugs from the original Casper 9. From memory I think it was if you re-imaged a Mac that was already in the JSS.

The other cause was some of our technicians creating manual entries. We had some university staff members that did not want their devices enrolled or managed so they created manual entries, just so there was a record of them. That caused a bit of confusion further down the line!

chris_kemp
Contributor III

I remember seeing this a few times in the past, too - can't remember the exact circumstance. You might be able to trace what happened by the last check-in date of the old record, because that's when something changed. At any rate, though, as long as you have an updated, functioning record then it should be safe to delete the older one.

chrispetersmark
New Contributor

@davidacland you're absolutely right about the duplicate entries on enrollment, I've seen that as well. @lisacherie do you know if any of these Macs in question have had the logic board replaced? Whenever I replace a board on a Mac, I have to re-enroll (due to the different UDID) & a duplicate record gets created.

lisacherie
Contributor II

Repairs maybe - unsure.

The records were newer than what could have been original Casper 9 issues.

Will keep see if they re-appear.. there are no duplicates right now.