Edge and Teams apps disappear

verticalben
New Contributor III

Hi all, has anyone experienced certain applications (in our case, Edge and Teams) completely stop working (won't refresh etc), then when you quit the app they completely disappear, then reappear around a minute later?

Both apps are being deployed using the Jamf App Catalogue. I am wondering if the disappearance is, in fact, the applications updating to a newer version?

It's slightly unnerving for our end users to suddenly see their man app for communications, or the main web browser, suddenly disappear, so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@verticalben You can configure the user notifications for updates to the Jamf App Catalog apps to tell the user an update is being applied. We're not using that mechanism to deploy apps, but I have occasionally seen an update done via the Microsoft AutoUpdate tool fail and result in the app being updated disappearing.

pete_c
Contributor III

This lack of control and fine-tuning is exactly what keeps me on traditional policies and Self Service (for now).

bfrench
Contributor III

https://learn.jamf.com/en-US/bundle/technical-articles/page/Disabling_Developer_Auto_Updatesfor_App_...

Initially this article mentioned that due to PI10380 deploying some software titles from the Jamf App Catalog via App Installers can cause the software title to be deleted from the /Applications folder on target computers if the developer auto update is enabled for the software title.

JustinC
Contributor II
Contributor II

@verticalben that seems 'off'. Out of curiosity, have you enabled the supporting profiles in your App Installers deployments so that the end user are getting notified of the updates?

There is a very, very brief period when the app is closed where App Installers moves the older app to a temp location, puts the new version in the correct place and then (if the new version is installed correctly) the old version is deleted.

This process would normally take one or two seconds, not a minute.

I have seen Edge stop loading web pages on my personal machine (i.e not being managed by App Installers) when it has auto updated and does not start working properly again until I have quit and relaunched it. This could possibly be the same behaviour that you are seeing.

AppInstallersSupportingProfiles.png