Empty Extension attributes after upgrading to 11

blochcw
New Contributor II

We successfully upgraded our on-prem environment to 11.0.1 last week and have noticed an odd issue with a number of machines showing no values for any extension attributes. Out of about 2000 current machines, it only appears to have affected about 180 or so. Manually running a recon on the machines has fixed most of them and I created a policy to just run recon as a process (not from maintenance) adn that seems to be slowly whittling them down and getting most of them back. Anyone else seen anything like this?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@blochcw Sounds like you may have run into PI113594:

"Performing multiple, overlapping inventory updates or API calls against the same computer record may result in the loss of extension attribute information on that inventory record. For example, a policy that includes an inventory update executed upon startup could conflict with a regularly occuring inventory update triggered by computer check-in."

View solution in original post

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

Since it's an open PI I'm expecting Jamf will address it as there are definite uses for potentially overlapping recons, but for now it's kind of a "Patient: Doctor it hurts when I do X. Doctor: Then don't do X." situation.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@blochcw Sounds like you may have run into PI113594:

"Performing multiple, overlapping inventory updates or API calls against the same computer record may result in the loss of extension attribute information on that inventory record. For example, a policy that includes an inventory update executed upon startup could conflict with a regularly occuring inventory update triggered by computer check-in."

blochcw
New Contributor II

OK, but is there a good solution for the issue? OR are we just waiting for the next patch?

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

Since it's an open PI I'm expecting Jamf will address it as there are definite uses for potentially overlapping recons, but for now it's kind of a "Patient: Doctor it hurts when I do X. Doctor: Then don't do X." situation.

blochcw
New Contributor II

I have an open case and chatted with a support rep about. They are aware and working on it. In the meantime, I believe I found the source that was causing most of the issue for our implementation. I was using a webhooks server to pull inventory data from an Oracle db and posting it back Jamf. The trigger for the hook was on inventory. Fortunately, it was a redundent data source so I disabled the webhook and it looks like it may have fixed the issue. Definitely look for any redundent or repetitve API calls hanging around.