Enable Automator Actions from Third Parties?

bryantdresher
New Contributor III

We have many internally developed Automator Actions, fully #code-signed, and trusted for production use, but we have run into a problem…

On macOS Mojave, 3rd party Automator Actions must be enabled within Automator. Until they are enabled, they are non-functional in a workflow.

1c9f1086f36f45f3b59c66c00c14860d

Automator 3rd Party Actions must be enabled, and require Admin Rights to enable. Clicking the "Third Party Actions…" button within the action, or accessing the "Third Party Automator Actions…" choice from the Automator menu brings up the following dialog.

50d2fa3f87f0419f94acfaf08632951a

Once enabled, the 3rd party Automator actions are visible and appear to function as expected.

76950f4b0257459589e535fbf27c34ef

The Big Question?

Is there a configuration profile that can be pushed to Enable Automator Actions from Third Parties? Or is there another method to enable this on the computer so I don't have to perform yet another manual configuration step to enable our users on each computer they use to actually do their work. The irony of requiring manual intervention to enable wanted automation…think about it Apple.

3 REPLIES 3

JoshF
New Contributor II

I'm having the same issue here. Did you ever figure out a way to trust third party actions?

joshparnham
New Contributor

This setting is controller by the presence of a file located at /private/var/db/Scripting/.Automator3PPActions – it appears that the setting can be enabled by manually creating this file:

sudo install -m 444 /dev/null /private/var/db/Scripting/.Automator3PPActions

The setting can then be disabled by deleting this file.

Thank you for pointing this location out. However, this location is protected by SIP and I don't believe this method will work unless SIP is disabled, which we're not doing in our environment.