End of year best practice for wipe and re-enroll?

mramola
New Contributor III

What is the best practice at the end of the school year to wipe a device and set-up for a new user? We are using Jamf Pro and ASM.

I had assumed I could just do a wipe and then re-enroll as the new user, but when I do that the iPad retains the information from the previous user - device name, location, etc.

I'd like the device to maintain the asset tag number and then bring in all the information based on the new user.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

@mramola Check your PreStage settings to see if 'Use existing location information, if applicable' is checked. If it is checked, the user and location info will be retained. Maybe that will help get you to where you need to be..

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

SCADtom
New Contributor III

I have handled this a couple of ways in the past:
1. Have the student do an Erase all content and settings at time of check-in, this kept the device record including Asset Tag#. iPads were not assigned to a specific student so I didn't care that the user information was retained, it was over-written when deployed in the fall and the Asset Tag# remained.
2. At check-in a tech deleted the user for the device record in Jamf after the student did the erase all settings. All the Pros of plan 1 plus, I could run reports at the end of the day. iPads that still had a user assigned were not turned in, or a tech skipped a step. It was easy to provide reports to the bookkeeper to place fines on student accounts and contact the parents. When collection was complete and all iPads were accounted for, I did a search for all users and then deleted them. Only the users with no assigned devices were removed.

Both worked but I ended up using option 2. I always ended up with devices that were not re-deployed and with option 1, since they still had users assigned in the device record it caused further problems like showing up on reports of devices that have not check-in for x-days, or iOS out of date, etc.

mramola
New Contributor III

So I've also heard back from Jamf and it sounds like there isn't a way to maintain the asset tag and delete all the rest of the information. Because of how we collect devices we don't have the option of having the student wipe the device as they are turning it in.

Is there a way for me to wipe the device and then delete it from Jamf? I am finding if I wipe it it becomes unmanaged and I can't send remote commands and obviously if I delete first I can't wipe.

I guess I am back to the drawing board on a solid workflow for us. Still happy to hear how other schools are handling collection/wipe/re-enroll.

SCADtom
New Contributor III

Remote wipe will always make them unmanaged and when you delete the iPad from inventory, you also lose the asset tag #. You might look at using the the new Inventory Preload as a way of prepping the iPads for deployment as you can use that .csv file as your "inventory master". I have not used that feature so I suggest you check with your Jamf Buddy on how to proceed.

It took me a couple of years to convince everyone involved to follow the procedure I proposed. Debrief/lessons learned meetings after each recovery and deployment helped me to have my workflow accepted. Having the asset tag #s in Jamf helped the argument because we used scanners at recovery and deployment which really sped up the process. In the second year of deployment, ~3000 iPads took months to deploy. iPads were returned to the same user as the year before and they were not removed from Jamf inventory. In the end, I was able to deploy to that same population in a couple of days.

I hope you get more input on this thread, and good luck!

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

@mramola Check your PreStage settings to see if 'Use existing location information, if applicable' is checked. If it is checked, the user and location info will be retained. Maybe that will help get you to where you need to be..