Eset agent error when pushed

jalcorn
Contributor II

So eset has a script to install the agent which worked great. Now im getting a script error 1. I have no idea whats going on here. Im not getting alot of detail. Anyone else see this?

Sending Wake On LAN command... Opening SSH Connection to 10.10.160.21... Authenticating... Successfully authenticated. Verifying Computer's Identity... The MAC Address has been verified. Checking Operating System Version... Running Mac OS X 10.14 (18A391) Verifying /usr/local/jamf/bin/jamf... /usr/local/jamf/bin/jamf is current (10.7.1-t1536934276) Verifying /usr/sbin/jamf... /usr/sbin/jamf does not exist. Verifying /Library/Preferences/com.jamfsoftware.jamf.plist... Preparing Policy... Executing Policy 2018-10-16 at 3:16 PM | jalcorn | 1 Computer Running script Eset Agent Installer... Script exit code: 1 Script result: Error running script: return code was 1. Submitting log to https://jamf.chathamfinancial.com:8443/ Finished.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Look
Valued Contributor III

You need the actual KEXT Bundles in there, try adding the following in the lower part.
com.eset.kext.esets-kac
com.eset.kext.esets-mac
com.eset.kext.esets-pfw
com.eset.kext.esets_kac

View solution in original post

44 REPLIES 44

Look
Valued Contributor III

Do you have the ESET kexts and Team ID as Approved Kernel Extensions? These are pushed out using a Configuration Profile and required on 10.13.6 or later.

jalcorn
Contributor II

Yeah i have that set up. Unless you spot something wrong @Look

1186bbd1fd3c4b4c87fefe1686751368

Look
Valued Contributor III

You need the actual KEXT Bundles in there, try adding the following in the lower part.
com.eset.kext.esets-kac
com.eset.kext.esets-mac
com.eset.kext.esets-pfw
com.eset.kext.esets_kac

jalcorn
Contributor II

thanks @Look

a_simmons
Contributor II

Hi @jalcorn, did you use the add_token tool to license ESET?

jalcorn
Contributor II

@a.simmons No, turns out it was activity all the macs with the same licenses.

sdunbar
Contributor

Does anyone know the location of where the ESET config file is saved?

We would like to push out the config file, and while we can export and import it, I cannot find where it is saved when imported (does not look to be the same location as for SCEP).

Many thanks

Found it: Library/Application Support/ESET/esets/modules/data/backup/ (or is this just the backup of the config file) distributing to this location does not seem to work? Any suggestions gratefully received.

jkaigler
Contributor II

@jalcorn where did you get the script to install agent? Can you share please?

marck
New Contributor III

I think you get it here https://support.eset.com/kb7026/?locale=en_EN&segment=business

jalcorn
Contributor II

@jkaigler You can log into your set portal and download it there. They give it out.

a_simmons
Contributor II

Is there any way to make the application run in the background the first time it runs?

jalcorn
Contributor II

@a.simmons I have it run the agent at enrollment. Then Once the agent is installed ESET sees it and installs the app.

andrew_nicholas
Valued Contributor

@sdunbar

Trying to run the esets_set command throws this error when I test:

"Cannot open file /Library/Application Support/ESET/esets/etc/esets.cfg: No such file or directory"

So I assume thats where it may save them. I've also been toying with moving around the settings.json from /Library/Application Support/ESET/esets/cache/data/ but I've not made much headway.

Also I'm unsure if there is any script available to those of us moving over from SCEP for Mac, and when I contacted their support about it I was told there was no way to customize the installer at the time of installation, even though the pkg file allows for GUI customization choices.

jkaigler
Contributor II

@jalcorn I opened a ticket with ESET support, this is their response ...

Thank you for contacting ESET North America Technical Support.

At this point there is no official script that is offered to assist wit the deployment. With JAMF you should be able to preload the kernel extensions and push out the package installer.

jalcorn
Contributor II

@jkaigler This link will point you to the right spot.

https://support.eset.com/kb6541/?locale=en_US&viewlocale=en_US

andrew_nicholas
Valued Contributor

@jalcorn Are you an ESET customer outright or are you cutting over from SCEP for Mac?

jalcorn
Contributor II

@andrew.nicholas I have Jamf installing the agent and then ESET sees the agent but no app and then installs it.

andrew_nicholas
Valued Contributor

@jalcorn Thanks for responding. Did you work with ESET as a vendor directly and thus got the ERA or did you claim the ESET licenses and app installer per Microsoft on their decomming of SCEP for Mac (rebranded ESET)?

jalcorn
Contributor II

@andrew.nicholas Im not sure if i understand. We have never used SCEP, we have only used eset.

andrew_nicholas
Valued Contributor

@jalcorn Thanks, that helps confirm what I thought. Microsoft and ESET are offering users a free year of the client as Microsoft is EOLing SCEP for Mac at the end of the year, however it appears to be only the client and there are no real configuration or deployment options available to the installer.

jalcorn
Contributor II

@andrew.nicholas ahh okay. Yeah there full suite is worth it.

a_simmons
Contributor II

@andrew.nicholas I'm in the same situation as you, moving from SCEP to ESET. I haven't found a way to configure it or suppress prompts like the one below

61d18515470f4570a7264485e9bcb5cf

mschroder
Valued Contributor

@a.simmons : To configure it you should run the 'business' installer, select the remote option and configure it as needed. This will produce setting files (/tmp/esets_setup.dat and /tmp/program_components.dat) you ship with the installer (or create by a pre-pre-install script). I did so, but still get the same pop-up about 'New network connection' :( So I am not sure whether my config was not taken, or whether this is a feature that can not be configured.

I find it very hard to find mac related info on the ESET website, and in particular anything related to remote install without using their Remote Admin Console.

andrew_nicholas
Valued Contributor

@mschroder I've had a rather long email thread with their support and the culmination is that customization of this product without the ERA is not possible. Logic would dictate that since options can be changed manually when running the GUI installation then there must be a command line method of doing so, but I've not been able to come up with anything yet.

mschroder
Valued Contributor

@andrew.nicholas That is an interesting message, makes me wonder what the famous program_components.dat is good for. I don't think we want to go for the ERA, but seems we have to have another look before deciding on that.

jkaigler
Contributor II

Just found this article on migrating from SCEP

https://soundmacguy.wordpress.com/2018/12/04/hello-eset-endpoint-antivirus-deployment-management-and-migrating-from-scep/

andrew_nicholas
Valued Contributor

9559a0e9f0e34e908ec03563913bba41

andrew_nicholas
Valued Contributor

Looks like I need to retract some of my previous statements. I contacted them once more about ERA and ESMC and just got a message back from support that "... you already have business license, those products are already available to you." So it appears to be something available once you claim your license(s).

sdunbar
Contributor

I am trying to use the ESET Add Token tool, to apply the license key to the .pkg, but keep getting the error "./add_token: command not found"

Followed the instructions to the letter (I think) but not getting anywhere.

Advice please, where an I going wrong?

Thanks

mschroder
Valued Contributor

@sdunbar You have set the 'execute' bit for the script, right?

sdunbar
Contributor

Hi @mschroder

All I did was put both the .pkg and the downloaded tool in the same directory and did the below, so I would say no I have not set the execute bit?

In the terminal run the command: ./add_token ees_osx_en_0.pkg "1111-1111-1111-1111-1111" Run the command in the directory where you saved the installation file and add_token file. Replace 1111-1111-1111-1111-1111 with your ESET license Key. Replace ees_osx_en_0.pkg with your installation file name.

Update:
My mistake, sorted now, thanks

jkaigler
Contributor II

I was able to get it activated by cd /Applications/ESET Endpoint Security.app/Contents/MacOS then running esets_daemon --wait-respond --activate key=XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX

neilmartin83
Contributor II

Hello folks,

Ahh ESET... yep you can capture settings for it then apply/import them as part of deployment and you don't need their ERA solution to do it - I really didn't want to go through having to configure another on-prem service.

Basically, the "system level" stuff is stored in /Library/Application Support/ESET/esets/cache/data/settings.json and the "user level" bits (like suppressing the GUI prompts/notifications) are in ~/.esets/gui.cfg

The system level stuff is different from how it used to be managed in good old SCEP - it can be exported/imported using the GUI or esets_daemon.

The user level settings can be modified granularly using the esets_set utility in the app bundle itself, or you can just replace the entire file with one containing your preferred settings in the logged in user's context and force a reload of the esets_gui process for them.

I've documented all of the above in more detail on my blog post.

The add_token tool is working for me but you have to set it executable before you run it - i.e:

chmod +x /path/to/add_token

I'll add that little nugget to my post at https://soundmacguy.wordpress.com/2018/12/04/hello-eset-endpoint-antivirus-deployment-management-and...

It's also worth registering for an EBA account to keep track of your license usage.

tkuhn
New Contributor

When exporting the configuration file right from ESET what file extension should that use?

Following https://soundmacguy.wordpress.com/2018/12/04/hello-eset-endpoint-antivirus-deployment-management-and-migrating-from-scep/

neilmartin83
Contributor II

@tkuhn it doesn't matter whether you use an extension or not for the exported settings file.

sdunbar
Contributor

@neil.martin83 I am looking to use your Extension Attributes for ESET (the ones for SCEP were very useful thanks).

I am not getting any result, I have changed ESET Endpoint Antivirus.app to ESET Endpoint Security.app as that is what we are using, but no joy.

Am I missing something obvious?

neilmartin83
Contributor II

@sdunbar I haven’t touched Endpoint Security so have no idea. What’s in the app bundle Contents/MacOS directory? Is esets_daemon there?

sdunbar
Contributor

@neil.martin83 Yes it is there, along with esets_set and quite a few others.

neilmartin83
Contributor II

@sdunbar could you please post the output of

esets_daemon --status

Cheers!