Exporting JSS Search data: "Choose and inventory item on which to base your results"...?

dstranathan
Valued Contributor II

Translation to english, please. What does this mean? I just choose the default "Computers" option.

0ee1d12e57e04024ab01778b19980658

3 REPLIES 3

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

I used to get confused with that too since its not too descriptive. Best advice is to just try some of the other options.
Here's an example of the difference. Say you run an Advanced Search on the following:

Application Title | has | Firefox
and
Application Version | not like | 47.

That would pull up all Macs that have some version of Firefox below or not at version 47.x.
Normally that search, when exported, will simply give you a list of computers, along with any other columns you chose when you set up the search, or a default set of columns.
However, if you choose "Applications" on the screen above, then export, you instead get a csv file that groups computers together based on the actual Firefox application versions. So the first column will have the Firefox versions in it, say "45.0", then a grouping of Macs that all have that same version below it, until it gets to the next version it found, for example, 45.0.2 or whatever. It allows you to see the actual results of what you formed your search on, which you can't usually see in the JSS GUI. But only when its exported.

Does that make sense? I encourage you to give some of them a try and see what results you get so you can compare the differences.

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

I was under the impression it's "what data do you want to export".

dstranathan
Valued Contributor II

Gotcha. Thanks.

In my situation, I think I was running a report of Macs that have Office 2011 installed but are eligible for Office 2016 (i.e.; they are running the prerequisites of OS X 10.10 Yosemite or higher, EndNote X7.5 or higher, etc).

I dont run reports/exports often, and every time I do I always scratch my head and go say "wha...?" Its not just me - I have noticed that all my desktop techs do the same thing, too. In fact, they usally call me and ask "What am I supposed to do here?"