Extension Attribute Not Working - What am I doing wrong?

mcgace
New Contributor III

Hi,

I'm trying to report on which of out machines don't have Meraki Agent installed. I have created Extension Attribute and used a Smart Group but its not showing any machines as having Meraki Agent.

What am I doing wrong?

The script works in Terminal

#!/bin/bash PROFILE_ID="com.meraki.sm.mdm" if ( /usr/bin/profiles -P | /usr/bin/grep -q $PROFILE_ID ); then # Profile is present echo "<result>True</result>" exit 1 else # Profile isn't there, need to install echo "<result>False</result>" exit 0 fi

497c906f03f3455f9fd353891fd15cbd

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mschroder
Valued Contributor

Hm, that is an interesting case. Seems when I pipe something to grep the exit code is not what 'man grep' promises - I always get '0'.

But why do do you need a EA for this? The MDM already knows which Profiles are installed. So just base your smart group on the criteria 'Profile Identifier' 'is' 'com.meraki.sm.mdm'.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

mschroder
Valued Contributor

Hm, that is an interesting case. Seems when I pipe something to grep the exit code is not what 'man grep' promises - I always get '0'.

But why do do you need a EA for this? The MDM already knows which Profiles are installed. So just base your smart group on the criteria 'Profile Identifier' 'is' 'com.meraki.sm.mdm'.

tthurman
Contributor III

@mcgace

You could try something like this....
Instead of using the if command to do the true/false on the error code return value. Assign the return of the command to a variable and use the if to validate against that.

In this case, I'm just using a count on the return from grep.

#!/bin/bash

PROFILE_ID="com.meraki.sm.mdm"
profileCheck=$(sudo /usr/bin/profiles -P | /usr/bin/grep -c -i $PROFILE_ID)

if [[ $profileCheck == "1" ]] 
then
    # Profile is present
    echo "<result>True</result>"
    exit 1
elif [[ $profileCheck == "0" ]]
then
    # Profile isn't there, need to install
    echo "<result>False</result>"
    exit 0
elif [[ $profileCheck -gt "1" ]]
then
    #Profile count greater than 1 - potential issue.
    echo "<result>Remediate</result>"
else
    #Something went wrong.
    echo "<result>Unknown - Error</result>"
fi

Mauricio
Contributor III

@mcgace Have you tried to comment out the exit lines, especially the exit 1?

As you said it works in Terminal but JSS may get that exit 1 as a failure and not send the info upstream (not sure as I always end my EAs scripts with exit 0).

#!/bin/bash

PROFILE_ID="com.meraki.sm.mdm"

if ( /usr/bin/profiles -P | /usr/bin/grep -q $PROFILE_ID ); then
    # Profile is present
    echo "<result>True</result>"
    #exit 1
else
    # Profile isn't there, need to install
    echo "<result>False</result>"
    #exit 0
fi

exit 0

Regards

mcgace
New Contributor III

Thanks guys, all valid responses and they do work as solutions. @mschroder was right, I am making extra work for no reason, so I based Smart Group on Profile Identifier