Extension attribute to see if someone is logged into imessage

tegus232
Contributor

Hi folks,

Can someone help me with an EA that can collect information on if someone is logged into iMessage?

Thank you,

4 REPLIES 4

howie_isaacks
Valued Contributor II

I was looking for a plist file that would report this status. If someone is logged into iCloud, they would likely also be logged into iMessage too. This EA would be able to track the iCloud logged in status and display the email address used to login.

#!/bin/sh
## Get logged in user
loggedInUser=$(stat -f%Su /dev/console
icloudaccount=$( defaults read /Users/$loggedInUser/Library/Preferences/MobileMeAccounts.plist Accounts | grep AccountID | cut -d '"' -f 2)
if [ -z "$icloudaccount" ]; then
    echo "<result>No Accounts Signed In</result>"
else
    echo "<result>$icloudaccount</result>"
fi

tegus232
Contributor

I tried it but doesn't read if messages is logged in or not

tegus232
Contributor

We don't allow icloud itself, but allow folks to login to messages or facetime app. so need to see how to track those specifically

howie_isaacks
Valued Contributor II

I have never used the Messages app without iCloud. I noticed that when I logged into the Messages app with an Apple ID, I saw that the plist file called "com.apple.imservice.ids.iMessage.plist" located in ~/Library/Preferences was modified. There are two keys in this plist file: ActiveAccounts and OnlineAccounts. If no one is logged in, these keys have no string after the key. This might work for you. The idea of this EA is that the value for "ActiveAccounts" will be null if the user is not logged in. I checked just now and if you log out, the stings associated with these keys disappear.

#!/bin/zsh

currentUser=`/bin/ls -l /dev/console | /usr/bin/awk '{ print $3 }'`
loggedIn=$(/usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c 'print ActiveAccounts:Array' /Users/$currentUser/Library/Preferences/com.apple.imservice.ids.iMessage.plist)

if [[ -z $loggedIn ]]; then
	echo "<result>No</result>"
else
	echo "<result>Yes</result>"
fi

Let me know if this works for you.