External Media Not Ejecting on 10.10.2

perrycj
Contributor III

Kinda weird issue that I just started noticing but it seems the "eject" option is not showing up with external media on 10.10.2. If you right click, eject is not an option. If you drag to the trash, the eject icon shows up but does not eject the media.

If you use the dockutil command in terminal, it does eject the media but that is obviously not ideal. Apple's recommendation/instructions are to log out. restart and/or shut down and remove the media before restarting. Also not ideal.

Has anyone else seen or encountered this yet? And if so, what solution have you implemented? Any feedback would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

I'm sure its probably not but I got caught out by a restriction profile recently. It has an option to stop you from ejecting external drives.

Just in case ;)

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

SGill
Contributor III

You might try reinstalling, or seeing if this behavior is confined to certain hardware.

I was unable to duplicate what you are seeing in 10.10.2 Build 14C109 on iMac Late 2009 and MacBook Pro Mid 2012.

All eject behaviors checked out normally here.

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

I'm sure its probably not but I got caught out by a restriction profile recently. It has an option to stop you from ejecting external drives.

Just in case ;)

perrycj
Contributor III

@davidacland Yup that was it. Can't believe I missed that. I must have read it wrong when I set up the CP originally and left it unchecked. Thanks for pointing that out.

ianshand
New Contributor

Hi,

I know this is an old thread. I'm having this issue. I cant see where the option in CP is to allow external drives to be ejected. Either by the right click menu or dragging to the trash. I'm fairly new to JAMF and still finding my way around. Any help anyone can give will be appreciated.

markwangpd
New Contributor II

I also have this problem. I checked the finder and restriction payloads and at first saw the removal but ended up just removing that as a whole. Still am not seeing the eject. Were you able to solve this?