FileVault2 with JSS

srathore
New Contributor

I'm trying to test the use of FileVault 2 with El Capitan machines.
Created Disk encryption configuration with Individual recovery key and it works fine. I have many systems which are already FileVault 2 enabled before enrolled with JAMF. I'm looking for best way to get them FileVault 2 compliant against my JAMF policy easily. JSS version 9.82 and Enabled fileVault 2 user is "Current or Next user". I was trying to assign new recovery key to 1 of the MAC but it got failed. Already checked articles 11580 and 8996

So I was thinking, Adding Management account as Enabled fileVault 2 user (script can work) then assign new recovery key might work in this case. If somebody has gone through with this issue please let me know.

4 REPLIES 4

flyboy
Contributor

@srathore see this post. It sounds a lot like what you're trying to do. You'll have to add your JSS management account user to FileVault before you can re-issue recovery keys. Once you've re-issued the key you can remove the management account from FileVault.

srathore
New Contributor

HI,

in this situation my management account password is set for "randomly generated passwords", so I can't enter management account password in the script. And I am not that experienced in Apple scripts to make them user interactive. Could you please help me out a little bit to make that script user interactive and to bypass management account password dependency or if you have any other option in this case.

flyboy
Contributor

Due to the way FileVault 2 is architected, to make changes on an encrypted computer you have to have one of the following two things:

1. Individual Recovery Key stored in the JSS
  2. JSS Management account has to be a FileVault 2 User

Unfortunately, the only way to get the Individual recovery key stored in the JSS is to either use a JSS policy to encrypt the device, or to use the management account to generate a new key that is then stored in the JSS.

Off the top of my head, the only way to deal with your issue would be to build a policy workflow using a script and a set of policies that have custom triggers.

For example:

1. Create a policy that changes the management password to a known value and give it a custom trigger like "knownmgtpass"

2. Create a policy that issues a new individual recovery key and give it a trigger like "newIndKey"

3. Create a policy that changes the management password to an unknown value and give it a custom trigger like "unknownmgtpass"

4. Create a policy that removes the management account from FileVault and give it a custom trigger like "FVremovemgtacct"

5. Create a policy that runs the script that manages your workflow

Add your known management account information to lines 33 & 34, then your workflow script would look something like this:

#!/bin/bash

###  WARNING:  USE THIS CODE AT YOUR OWN RISK AND TEST IN A DEVELOPMENT ENVIRONMENT BEFORE RUNNING IN PRODUCTION!
###  YOU, AND YOU ALONE ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR CONSEQUENCES FROM IMPROPER TESTING!!!!!

### NOTE: There is no error checking in this script to see if the username entered is a valid FileVault user.

## Call policy to change the management account password to something we know
jamf policy -event knownmgtpass

TMPDIR=${TMPDIR:-/tmp}                          # defaults to /tmp if unset 

#-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Creates a particular temporary directory inside $TMPDIR.
#-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TEMPORARY_DIR=$(mktemp -d "$TMPDIR/XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX") || 
    { echo "ERROR creating a temporary file"; exit 1; }

# When the program exits, it tries to remove the temporary folder.
    # This code is executed even if the process receives a signal 1,2,3 or 15.
    trap '[ "$TEMPORARY_DIR" ] && rm -rf "$TEMPORARY_DIR"' 0

touch $TEMPORARY_DIR/tempfile                   # new tempfile inside folder

PLIST_TEMP=$TEMPORARY_DIR/tempfile

## Set variables for management account details
MGTUSER="" ##Enter management account username here
MGTPASS="" ##Enter management account password here

## Prompt the user for their existing FileVault credentials and use them to build the XML we need to add the management account to FileVault.

USERNAME=$(osascript -e 'set DIALOG_1 to the text returned of (display dialog "Username: " default answer "")')
USERPASS=$(osascript -e 'set DIALOG_2 to the text returned of (display dialog "Password: " default answer "" with hidden answer)')

## Build Plist 

cat <<-EOF > $PLIST_TEMP
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Username</key>
<string>$USERNAME</string>
<key>Password</key>
<string>${USERPASS}</string>
<key>AdditionalUsers</key>
<array>
    <dict>
        <key>Username</key>
        <string>$MGTUSER</string>
        <key>Password</key>
        <string>${MGTPASS}</string>
    </dict>
</array>
</dict>
</plist>
EOF

## Add Management account user to FileVault
 /usr/bin/fdesetup add -usertoadd $USERNAME < "${PLIST_TEMP}"

## Call policy to issue new Individual Recovery Key
jamf policy -event newIndKey

## Call policy that removes management account from FileVault
jamf policy -event FVremovemgtacct

## Call policy that changes management account back to an unknown value
jamf policy -event unknownmgtpass

bsssuport
New Contributor

This tool seems like it'll do exactly what you want.