Force Install Chrome Extensions

sgiesbrecht
Contributor III

I need to force install a Chrome Extension.

I have looked in Jamf Nation for solution but latest ones were in 2017 and they currently do not work (from my testing).

Has anyone got them to work with Monterey?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@sgiesbrecht You need a Configuration Profile with an Application & Custom Settings payload for the com.google.Chrome preference domain and a PLIST in the form:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
	<dict>
		<key>ExtensionInstallForcelist</key>
		<array>
			<string>EXTENSION IDENTIFIER GOES HERE</string>
		</array>
	</dict>
</plist>

View solution in original post

efil4xiN
Contributor II

Here is the link to JAMF JSON  files

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@sgiesbrecht You need a Configuration Profile with an Application & Custom Settings payload for the com.google.Chrome preference domain and a PLIST in the form:

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
	<dict>
		<array>
			<string>EXTENSION IDENTIFIER GOES HERE</string>
		</array>
	</dict>
</plist>

I found my problem, I was naming the Preference Domain com.google.Chrome.<Extension name> not com.google.Chrome.

Now working,

Thx @sdagley 

I'm trying to create a list of multiple forced extensions. I got it to the point that the plist includes multiple extensions by adding additional extension IDs to the Extension Install Forcelist in the form editor, but only end up with one of the extensions forcibly installed. At some point I realized that it seems to only accept the first ID in the list.

I could not, however, figure out how to configure the JSON to accept multiple extension IDs, which may be the problem?

eg, the json:

{
  "title": "Google Chrome Extensions (com.google.Chrome)",
  "description": "Install extensions in Google Chrome",
  "properties": {
    "ExtensionInstallForcelist": {
      "title": "Extension Install Forcelist",
      "description": "Add extension IDs. Paste the extension ID in front of the default text.",
      "property_order": 5,
      "type": "array",
      "items": {
        "title": "Extension ID",
        "default": "extension id here",
        "type": "string"
      }
    }
  }
}

and the plist:

<plist version="1.0">
  <dict>
    <array>
      <string>1st extension id here</string>
      <string>2nd extension id here</string>
    </array>
  </dict>
</plist 

@araleon Did you find any solution to it? I'm also facing the same issue. I'm trying to install two managed extensions. However the two extensions got installed but after the device reboot it only accept one extension. 

efil4xiN
Contributor II

As this is something I have to do monthly I highly recommenced using the Chrome JSON file to save time

gabester
Contributor III

Or... if you're a Google Workspace shop, enroll your Chrome browser and manage all its settings there.

Caveat being that I can more easily mass edit the XML or JSON of a group of extensions to be installed / allowed / denied in the Jamf Pro config profile editor than in Google Workspace... but that's usually a set once, occasionally modify one or two items type thing so you're still probably better off generally doing it through Workspace Admin.

sgiesbrecht
Contributor III

@efil4xiN not familiar with JSON,  can you send an example if possible and Steps to deploy

Client doesn't want to use Google Workspace @gabester so I'm stuck with the JSON 

Note, the above solution does work but will not install automatically, only through SS

efil4xiN
Contributor II

Here is the link to JAMF JSON  files

Riyan
New Contributor

I have a further question for this. 

Installation has worked fine and it has been forced on all users. Question is, we have some internal sites that use Chrome, where the Extension is hindering the work. Is it possible to be able to turn off the extensions. With the current setting, the extension is always on.