GeekTool

Sims_
Contributor

I am trying to deploy GeekTool to our users so that we can see their Computer name and IP address. I am able to deploy the app and the .glet that we want to use but I'm unable to get it to start on login and to be enabled. Once deployed the user has to tell the app to enable and to start on login. Has anyone been able to configure the app to start on startup?

I tried using this plist file from another forum entry, but doesn't seem to do the trick.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict> <key>Label</key> <string>com.geektool.plist</string> <key>ProgramArguments</key> <array> <string>open</string> <string>/Applications/GeekTool.app/Contents/PlugIns/GeekTool.prefPane/Contents/Resources/GeekTool Helper.app</string> </array> <key>RunAtLoad</key> <true/>
</dict>
</plist>0db0e17cb4964b0181d04602667df972

9 REPLIES 9

allanp81
Valued Contributor

That plist looks like a launch agent, so have you tried placing it in the /Library/LaunchAgents directory with appropriate rights?

ryan_ball
Valued Contributor

@jgsims What about this:

1. Create a file called "com.yourcompany.opengeektool.plist" with the following contents
    <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
    <plist version="1.0">
    <dict>
    <key>Label</key>
    <string>com.yourcompany.opengeektool</string>
    <key>Program</key>
    <string>/Applications/GeekTool.app</string>
    <key>RunAtLoad</key>
    <true/>
    </dict>
    </plist>
  2. Place that file in /Library/LaunchAgents/
  3. Logout
  4. Login

Does it open then?

Edited to specify the .app path rather than the helper.app

MrP
Contributor III

Beyond what others have mentioned, that Enabled checkbox is likely stored under ~/Library/Preferences/geektoolpreferncesplist, so you will need to determine what file that is and deploy it as well, or where ever geektool keeps its preferences.

ryan_ball
Valued Contributor

What that checkbox probably does it place a plist similar to the one I've posted, in the user's /Users/user_name/Library/LaunchAgents/ folder. If you create a plist similar to the one I posted and place it into /Library/LaunchAgents/ then it will open for all users without the need to check the box and whatnot.

MrP
Contributor III

@ryan.ball You are correct with your statement pertaining to the second check box. The first is stored in a preferences(not launchd) plist and geektool will not show data without it set to "checked".

Sims_
Contributor

@ryan.ball I tried using your launch agent and it still doesn't launch on login. I've also tried building a DMG that contains the GeekTool app and the 3 preference files it has (org.tynsoe.geeklet.shell.plist - org.tynsoe.GeekTool.plist - org.tynsoe.geektool3.plist) and it still doesn't launch on boot or start as "enabled". I'm not sure what else to do at this point. I thought surely after getting the plist files that are configured to have "enabled" and "automatically launch on login" select it would work.

HeightsCollege
New Contributor II

Just like @ryan.ball we have created a .plist in the launch agents and its loading every time fine for all our deployed Macbooks. Our plist looks like this:

<plist version="1.0">
<dict> 
        <key>Label</key> 
        <string>com.geektool.plist</string> 
        <key>ProgramArguments</key> 
        <array> <string>open</string> 
        <string>/Applications/GeekTool.app/Contents/PlugIns/GeekTool.prefPane/Contents/Resources/GeekTool Helper.app</string>
        </array> 
        <key>RunAtLoad</key> 
        <true/>
    </dict>
</plist>

We also have a few other scripts deployed in a package to show all the information.

Our process is to first install GeekTool.pkg then install our StaffInfo.glet and settings via another PKG. This gives the ability to send different configurations based on role/position etc.

Sims_
Contributor

@HeightsCollege Your .plist did the trick! Thank you so much. I have been bashing my head on my desk lately.

Also thanks to everyone else who assist me with this. Cheers!

MartinCere
New Contributor

Hello, has anyone received the license terms for the GeekTool from the developer? If so, someone could send me the license terms or a download link. We also want to distribute the GeekTool, but without license terms we can't do that. Thanks.

Martin