Get RealName of Current Logged in User

Matt
Valued Contributor

What is the best way to get the RealName of the current logged in user? I am writing an Extension attribute to call an AD group and if the AD group contains a match of the real name of the logged in user to that of the AD group then you receive a Yes or No output.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

rmanly
Contributor III

try mine; like this

#!/bin/bash

group="FNGMACAPPSTORE"

for username in $(stat /dev/console | awk '{print $5}'); do
    if dscl /Search -read /Users/"${username}" memberOf | grep -q "${group}"; then
        echo "<result>Yes</result>"
    else
        echo "<result>No</result>"
    fi
done

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

something like the below should work:

loggedInUser=`/bin/ls -l /dev/console | /usr/bin/awk '{ print $3 }'`

userRealName=`dscl . -read /Users/$loggedInUser | grep RealName: | cut -c11-`
            if [[ -z $userRealName ]]; then
                userRealName=`dscl . -read /Users/$loggedInUser | awk '/^RealName:/,/^RecordName:/' | sed -n 2p | cut -c 2-`
            fi

Matt
Valued Contributor

finger | egrep -m 1 -o '[ ][^ ][ ][^ ][ ]'

I got this to display what I want but is the best way?

rmanly
Contributor III

Here is the answer to the question that you asked but there is other information available to see what groups the person belongs too...

dscl /Search -read /Users/"${username}" RealName | awk '{print $2}'
done

Put another way...

#!/bin/bash

group="Some Group"

else
    fi
done

Matt
Valued Contributor

This is what I am using

#!/bin/bash

realName=$(finger | egrep -m 1 -o '[ ][^ ]+[ ][^ ]+[ ]')

dscl /Active Directory/FFE/All Domains -read /Groups/FNGMACAPPSTORE | grep "$realName"
if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then
      result=Yes
else
      result=No
fi
echo "<result>$result</result>"

It does not work, however if I replace $realName with "Matthew Lee" it does work. When I use the finger command it returns what I expect "Matthew Lee". I am assuming that my setting $realName with the finger command is the issue.

The above commands aren't giving me the output I need :(

rmanly
Contributor III

try mine; like this

#!/bin/bash

group="FNGMACAPPSTORE"

else
    fi
done

Matt
Valued Contributor

Seems to work so far! I am going to test it a bit and post the results! Thanks!

rmanly
Contributor III

Np :)

sean
Valued Contributor

stat can just provide the username

stat -f%Su /dev/console

Be warned though. My experience is that the new Virtual Desktop ScreenSharing changes the ownership of /dev/console and so if you do this kind of screen sharing then you could end up with incorrect reports!

I have no idea if this is only the case on certain versions of 10.7, but I imagine that this wont change.

However, you will find:

who | grep console
macsupport console  Mar 19 16:16 
root       console  Mar 19 15:58 
sean     console  Mar 19 11:58

I don't like this method. If you have a user called console (unlikely I know). You could choose to grab all of the console logins and then loop through them.

or

#ps aux | grep login
macsupport     24779   0.0  0.1  2626380  10728   ??  Ss    4:16PM   0:00.26 /System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app/Contents/MacOS/loginwindow
root           24063   0.0  0.0  2440216   2880 s000  Ss    4:08PM   0:00.04 login -pf sean
root           20190   0.0  0.1  2642104  11312   ??  Ss    3:58PM   0:00.37 /System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app/Contents/MacOS/loginwindow
root             316   0.0  0.0  2518496   2368   ??  Ss   11:57AM   0:00.28 /System/Library/CoreServices/logind
sean            69   0.0  0.7  2733900  55024   ??  Ss   11:57AM   0:05.57 /System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app/Contents/MacOS/loginwindow console
root           28655   0.0  0.0  2434892    504 s002  S+    4:45PM   0:00.00 grep login

You could grep for MacOS/loginwindow and again loop through them or if you only want the actual logged in user, use the ps command to grep for either 'login -pf' and take the last field or 'loginwindow console' and take first field. There are a bunch of ways to approach this and improve, but this gives some ideas.

Alternatively, learn objective C.

Either way, I imagine there are an awful lot of people that are about to be rewriting a lot of scripts; something to add to the task list!

tlarkin
Honored Contributor

Sean,

Good catch on the virtual desktop screen sharing. I have not currently tested any of this so I cannot confirm or deny. Another method I can give for you all to test is reading the info form the loginwindow.plist file.

see example:

bash-3.2$ defaults read /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow lastUserName
admin
bash-3.2$

sean
Valued Contributor

Sorry, but this plist doesn't update with fast user switching, one of the reasons for using the owner of console. I haven't tested this yet with the output of 'ps'. Mind you, I may not have tested the update of the plist with Lion!!!

mac_trick
New Contributor

tlarkin,

Mac OS update 'lastUserName' with last logged in user name. In case of multiple user log-in at the same time, last user name will be the one who logged in at last. So that terminal command 'defaults read /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow lastUserName' will return last logged in user name. That means we can not say it return current logged in user. Yes in case of single user log in it gives proper result.

For getting current user name, we can use '$(stat /dev/console | awk '{print $5}')'.

Thank you.