GPS Tracking Solutions for 1:1 Devices?

obi-k
Valued Contributor II

Hello,

What do you guys use to track your iPads or MacBook Airs that have been lost or stolen? Just wondering what some of you have done to meet that requirement in your environment or school district.

Thanks, as always, for your input.

4 REPLIES 4

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

We did loads of research into this earlier this year for one of our schools as they had a bit of a problem with devices "going missing". In the end we didn't feel there was a solution that would be cost effective (compared to the cost of the losses each year). A lot of the options we saw were too easily circumvented (particularly on Mac OS X) by wiping the hard drive. In the end the school went for visible deterrents (asset stickers) on the devices and an insurance option.

Now that DEP is maturing as a service, I wonder if that would help here. Ensuring that devices are checking in to the JSS, even if they are erased and re-installed would certainly help reduce the number that are lost / stolen.

obi-k
Valued Contributor II

Good point on the DEP. And thanks for your input.

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

There are those out there deploying 'Prey'. Here's one thread but there are several.

https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=7328

I'd like to see how DEP can help with this sort of thing in real life!

P.S> You're not going to get GPS as the units don't have GPS.

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

I spent a couple of days too many trying to ensure that a wiped ipad would re-enroll with DEP (easy once the bugs were fixed) but also be placed in a disabled state. My goal was to identify a new enrollment, disable the iPad but allow the Self Service web clip, where a valid user could authenticate with LDAP, and then the iPad would enable again. If they couldn't authenticate then it is unusable yet it has enrolled and called home with an IP address.

I got stuck in circular logic. But also there is no way to trigger the disabling so that it only ran ONCE. So it would Enable, be seen as an Enrolled device < 1 day, disable, etc.

Also, it is good to make the effort to try and catch some of the stealers and prosecute - the word will get out if you do... and if you don't.

chris