Help! Need to hide Jamf Self Service icon from student eyes!

awensell
New Contributor

I have very young students who see the self service as a game! I need the teachers to be able to pull it up to add software, but I need it hidden from some student since they keep filling up the ipad.
ipads are shared, Would like for the icon to be hidden but usable.
"Tired of reseting ipads"

4 REPLIES 4

larry_barrett
Valued Contributor

So you scope your entire app directory to every ipad? Smart groups are your friend. We have 1000 apps and the most any grade level has is around 40, shouldn't fill up any (reasonably) modern iPad.

At the end of the day, tech cannot solve all classroom management issues.

joshuasee
Contributor III

I would second don't scope the app, but alternately couldn't you also set "Enable Self Service User Login" to "Require login" and not allow student accounts for that?

red_beard
New Contributor III

This can now be easily accomplished with iOS 15. You can hide an app so it only appears in the App Library and not a homescreen. Just tap and hold down on the Self-Service app and select hide App.

awensell
New Contributor
Just updated a shared iPad to 15.3. tried the tap and hold. Hide is not an option. "Share app" is the only option. I have even checked our Jamf app setting. It should allow the student to even delete the app, but that is not an option.

I'm going to do a wipe next to make sure it's not a setting that transferred from the old IOS in the update.

Mrs. Aleshia Wensell
Technology Techinican T2
127 Providence Road | Oak Ridge, TN 37830
awensell@ortn.edu | (865) 425-9083
www.ortn.edu Twitter: @ORSTechnology (Tech Tips)Every student prepared for college, career, and life success

[Text Description automatically generated]