Hosting NetSUS in Vsphere

chilcote
New Contributor II

Is anyone hosting a NetSUS appliance in Vsphere? We are able to connect, upload the NBI, choose the NBI. But we are seeing two problems trying to configure via webadmin:

1. It has a static IP, but under the Network panel in the webadmin, it does not take the IP address or Netmask. Only the Gateway is applied, along with the stock DNS. Entering anything results in the fields returning to blank.
  2. No matter what we put in "Listen on these subnets," Enable Netboot never works.

We did a POC using VMware on an OS X machine and it worked flawlessly. Trying to suss out what is different in this environment.

--joe

5 REPLIES 5

jhbush
Valued Contributor II

You may need to assign it to a VLAN. We have a few in our lab with mixed results running on ESXi. NetBoot is very slow using IPHelpers across VLANS. It seems to need a GB network to really shine. I'm just going to wait for the JDS at this point.

chilcote
New Contributor II

Got it configured in ESXi, and am experimenting with boot methods. Without ip-helpers, have you managed to craft a bless to boot from the appliance hosted on another vlan?

wyip
Contributor

I know its an old thread, but just in case anyone ends up here because they were searching for some info here's the bless command that I'm using to netboot to my NetSUS v2.0 hosted 10.8 netboot set:

/usr/sbin/bless --netboot --booter "tftp://${server}/${setName}/i386/booter" --kernelcache "tftp://${server}/${setName}/i386/x86_64/kernelcache" --options "rp=http://${server}/NetBoot/NetBootSP0/${setName}/NetBoot.dmg" -nextonly

Replace "${server}" with the IP address of your NetSUS appliance, and "${setName}" with the name of your NBI.

dmw3
Contributor III

Just came across this thread. Yes we are running a NetSUS appliance under VSphere. We can upload images ok but cannot find a way to actually enable NetBoot, no matter what we do the service does not start just sits there with a red dot.

Version 2.0 of JAMF ASUS on Redhat 6.4

SUS part of the appliance on the same server works well, just not NetBoot.

wyip
Contributor

Make sure you've added the subnet that your NetSUS is on into the netboot settings. You won't be able to enable Netboot unless the NetSUS is configured to listen on its local subnet for some reason.