How do I run a policy at a specified time?

cpizanias
Contributor

I want to roll out a software update at midnight tonight in order to minimize downtime for the users. I'm not seeing an option anywhere within the policy to tell it to run at a specific time. Is there a trick to this? Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

There's nothing that will let you pick a specific date and time for running it. You can set a future date & time for enabling the policy and you can choose some timeframes that the policy should not run in. That's about the best you'll get.
If it really must run at an exact time, you'd need to do that with a LaunchDaemon that uses a StartCalendarInterval setting to tell it run a command, like /usr/local/bin/jamf policy -id <id> or something like that, at an exact date and time.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

There's nothing that will let you pick a specific date and time for running it. You can set a future date & time for enabling the policy and you can choose some timeframes that the policy should not run in. That's about the best you'll get.
If it really must run at an exact time, you'd need to do that with a LaunchDaemon that uses a StartCalendarInterval setting to tell it run a command, like /usr/local/bin/jamf policy -id <id> or something like that, at an exact date and time.

CapU
Contributor III

You could use Casper Remote to install the app at midnight. You cant log your machine off as it's waiting to start the install process. I've used this method before to install Garage Band at 2:00 am