How do you move from a pushed .PKG software to using a VPP version instead?

Cayde-6
Release Candidate Programs Tester

So as an example, we pushed Slack out via a .PKG file and we've now got Slack in our VPP account.

How do you transition users to install the VPP version of Slack over a version installed via .PKG?

Similar scenario is Office 365 which again was pushed out via a .PKG but is now in our VPP account.

3 REPLIES 3

tak10
Contributor II

I've done with Slack, Xcode, and Skitch. They all needed to be uninstalled first and re-installed using VPP policy. It would be easy if you can remove and trigger re-install of VPP app using a script but I haven't able to find a way to do it. I literally told all the users to click the Uninstall policy via Self Service (Which is just a simple script to remove /Applications/Slack.app) and had them install slack using Mac App Store policy. You are basically just replacing .app file so no need to reconfigure the app.

I'm hoping that someone can have better way of doing this because I don't really want to do this for Office apps.

tomhastings
Contributor II

Microsoft published this recently: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployoffice/mac/deploy-mac-app-store
I have just started looking into this myself.

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

have a look at this.