How to create a local user account alias via the JSS?

ElisabethMorrow
New Contributor

In the past, we used traditional imaging where I would set particular things up including an alias for our shared student account, and then capture those things in the image. For example, our local user account called "student" is used by our youngest students and we like to use an alias of "123" which is easier and faster for them to type in. This year, I am only imaging a base OS and configuring everything else via policies or profiles. I have created my local user account "student" in a policy, but see no options to attach an alias to this. Is it possible in the JSS? If not, has anyone been able to do this in terminal? I have searched around and haven't been able to find much info.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

A policy like this will allow login using Student or 123

1185849a1be7486ab8402464a7cd9432

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

dwandro92
Contributor III

This should do the trick if you aren't looking for anything too complex. You could just add it to the "Execute Command" field under the "Files and Processes" payload of the policy:

[[ ! "$(dscl . -read /Users/student RecordName)" =~ 123 ]] && dscl . -append /Users/student RecordName 123

Ansonee
New Contributor

@emsadmin Have you tried this with Capser Remote? I think it allows for exactly what you've described. 1b44d8a6986d4d5989b409a89160f1e7

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

A policy like this will allow login using Student or 123

1185849a1be7486ab8402464a7cd9432

ElisabethMorrow
New Contributor

Thanks for the quick replies everyone! I tried @Sandy's suggestion first and this is a perfect solution.