How to deploy Free App Store apps through Jamf Self Service

binjali
Contributor

In my organization, we use Citrix SSO for VPN. It's available in the Apple App store for free. 

When users go to install it, instead of installing, Jamf Self Service opens the APPLE App Store and demands and AppleID to proceed. 

This isn't how it used to work, and isn't how it is supposed to work. 

How do I find out what went wrong? this App used to just install. but as soon as I started working here, I get told that it doesn't work anymore.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

1) In Jamf, go to Settings > Global Management > Volume Purchasing. Verify expiration date and Apple ID used

2) Logon to Apple Business Manager with credentials from step 1

3) Go to Your Account > Preferences > Payments and Billing > Server Tokens and download the token for the location used in Jamf Pro.

4) Back in Jamf, click 'Edit' on the Volume Purchasing account and select "Renew Service Token". Select and upload the token downloaded from Apple Business Manager. Click Save.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

emily
Valued Contributor III
Valued Contributor III

Do you have enough licenses “purchased” for the app in Apps & Books (in the Apple Business Manager portal)? If a volume purchased app (free or otherwise) is made available to a group of devices licenses are essentially earmarked for any device in that scope before any installations/deployments actually happen. If you run out if available licenses for potential install requests that could explain the behavior you’re describing. 

Yes, I have enough licenses available. There are only 116 in use, and I have 134 available.

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

Make sure Apps & Books / Volume Purchasing Program (VPP) is setup. Apple changed VPP To Apps & Books a few years ago but never finished the rebranding, they are the same thing. If its setup you need to buy and assign the licenses, if its not setup you need to set it up to manage appstore app licenses. Even "free" apps need a license to be "purchased" so you can assign it.

Integrating with Volume Purchasing - Jamf Pro Administrator's Guide | Jamf

As far as I can tell, it is set up. I have a token in place that hasn't expired. The app has been purchased.

no apps are showing up. Can't figure out whyno apps are showing up. Can't figure out why

howie_isaacks
Valued Contributor II

Are the users who are initiating the Self Service installs MDM capable users? Also, have you made sure that the "Assign Content Purchased in Volume " setting is turned on under Managed Distribution for each app? A non-MDM capable user will get the App Store launched when they try to install a Mac App Store app using Self Service. The same would also happen if the setting is not turned on in Managed Distribution.

"Assign Content Purchased in Volume " is turned on  What do you mean by MDM-capable users?

binjali
Contributor

In my specific case, I needed to upload a new VPP token into Jamf Cloud Pro. Now i am seeing my available licenses and able to distribute from Self Service.

1) In Jamf, go to Settings > Global Management > Volume Purchasing. Verify expiration date and Apple ID used

2) Logon to Apple Business Manager with credentials from step 1

3) Go to Your Account > Preferences > Payments and Billing > Server Tokens and download the token for the location used in Jamf Pro.

4) Back in Jamf, click 'Edit' on the Volume Purchasing account and select "Renew Service Token". Select and upload the token downloaded from Apple Business Manager. Click Save.