How to enroll AppleTV 4K 3rd Generation with no ethernet and USB connections?

Dirt-Squirt
New Contributor

I discovered that this model only has an HDMI and power cable connection.  Previous TV models have connected to our network with a network cable, so how does one get this 3rd Generation connected and enrolled in JAMF? This new device configuration has prevented me from configuring them as I did before with a cabled connection.

--The TV is present in Apple School Manager and enrolled in JAMF Pro.

--I cannot find the TV in our JAMF inventory by searching on serial number. (makes sense as it has not connected to any WiFi yet)

--When powered on and connected to a monitor, the TV sees but will not connect to our open guest network: " The WiFi network requires further authentication to connect. Use your iPhone or iPad to continue". Choosing this option goes nowhere.  So I then try a secured WiFi network...

--We created a special wireless configuration for TVs to auto-join a secure WiFi network, but this is not automagically working as with previous generations.  It appears that I have to select the desired SSID and then enter in the wifi user name and password.

What is the method to make this WiFi-only AppleTV join an SSID without entering a username and password on each device?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AJPinto
Honored Contributor III

You would use WiFi to get it internet access to do the enrollment. The message you are getting from you network suggests it's not open, which would be a "problem" with the network. I'm figuring you have some kind of NPS policy in place for 802.1x auth for that network even if the requirements are low.

Auto Joining networks requires Configuration Profiles, you don't get Configuration Profiles until after MDM enrollment. If you want a totally hands off enrollment where you don't have to pick a wireless network, you will need to get the AppleTV's that have ethernet. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

AJPinto
Honored Contributor III

You would use WiFi to get it internet access to do the enrollment. The message you are getting from you network suggests it's not open, which would be a "problem" with the network. I'm figuring you have some kind of NPS policy in place for 802.1x auth for that network even if the requirements are low.

Auto Joining networks requires Configuration Profiles, you don't get Configuration Profiles until after MDM enrollment. If you want a totally hands off enrollment where you don't have to pick a wireless network, you will need to get the AppleTV's that have ethernet. 

Dirt-Squirt
New Contributor

Ah, I understand.  The configuration was hands-off when I connected them to our network via cable. I generally don't purchased the TVs; I'm respnsible for configuring them once they arrive.  I will pass the word on to my supervisor.

Dave W.

AJPinto
Honored Contributor III

Yep, that will do it. Even an unencrypted network would need someone to click it during setup assistant. With any luck your boss will be fine with the extra money of the ethernet version over the labor needed to have a tech manually touching each device.