How to install apps that download additional components without requiring admin password?

myu
New Contributor III

I am trying to make Logic Pro (VPP app) available on Self Service.

When standard users click on INSTALL, it does run and it seems to download some components from the web, then asks for admin credentials. The specific message is:

"Logic Pro wants to install your download of instruments and sounds.

com.apple.musicapps.MAContentInstallation is trying to install Apple software"

Jamf Support indicates that we have to install the app before handing out the Macbook but that's not a feasible solution to manually install one-by-one. And I'd hate to have to make users local admin just to install this one app.

Any alternatives out there?

5 REPLIES 5

SCCM
Contributor III

Dont use the app myself, but there are post about the app and jamf from a while back, nit sure if you counted them out already?
https://community.jamf.com/t5/jamf-pro/logic-pro-x-skipping-download-prompt-for-new-user/m-p/193440

scottb
Honored Contributor

@myu - check this out.  Jamf's temp admin script.  I have not used this yet - but will be testing soon.

MakeMeAdmin Page (Git) 

myu
New Contributor III

@scottb wrote:

@myu - check this out.  Jamf's temp admin script.  I have not used this yet - but will be testing soon.

MakeMeAdmin Page (Git) 

Thank you @scottb but that's rather prone to abuse I think with users just clicking on MakeMeAnAdmin whenever they want to do something they weren't supposed to do. BUT, that did give me an idea coupled with @SCCM's post.

I am hoping that I can download Logic Pro myself, create a PKG for it and then create a policy that uses a pre install script that would make the logged in user an admin, install the PKG, and then run a post install script that removes the user from the admin group.

I'll test it out next week.

scottb
Honored Contributor

@myu - you don't need to make it available (escalated rights) all the time.  You can scope and setup to only give rights when a request is made, or limit the number of times the policy can run, etc.

Or, if something appears to be needed by more users, take requests and add to Self Service ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

jmahlman
Valued Contributor

All apps with be different for their helpers but for logic I actually wrote something up a few years ago to help deploy it to Labs. Check my blog post out….it may not work since I think the appleloops script has changed a lot…but it may help.