How to physically secure a Mac (à la Kensington Security Slot)

stevenjklein
Contributor II

We need to physically secure laptops if we leave them overnight in the office. That means they need to be locked in a drawer, or using a cable lock.

So I'm looking for some way to attach a cable lock to the 2016 and 2017 MacBooks Pro.

The only one I can find is called Ledge.

Does anyone have any experience with Ledge, or any other products? Any models you favor (or recommend against)?

5 REPLIES 5

Cornoir
Contributor II

9c431060d352414caf010f77263471ad
I have used this:
https://www.maclocks.com/new-macbook-lock-the-blade-secures-all-macbooks-silver.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI65G2qJvO2AIViKDsCh2i1gwsEAQYAyABEgJslfD_BwE

bvrooman
Valued Contributor

We use the Ledge. It works fine for our purposes; removable with effort, but a deterrent nonetheless. Most importantly, it addresses the auditors' needs to have workstations physically secured without having to glue all kinds of stuff to our laptops.

RandyTanenhaus
New Contributor II

Ditto for Maclocks.com and their products. If you are talking about touchbar machines, their solution for that model is nice and small and unobtrusive. They also make a nice case that is notched for the little space the lock takes up.

ThijsX
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi,

For the new MacBook Pro's with TouchBar we use;
optional image ALT text

Cheers,
Thijs - bol.com

stevenjklein
Contributor II

Thanks to @Cornoir , @bvrooman , @RandyTanenhaus , and @txhaflaire .

I like the cosmetics of the Blade -- the fact that it's hidden from view when not in use. But I'm not a fan of gluing things to laptops.

So I'm going to go with the Ledge. It's also visible, but looks reasonably inconspicuous, and I like the optional notched case (for $5 more).