How to restrict 10.10.1 while still allowing 10.10?

znilsson
Contributor II

Does anybody have the exact process name for the 10.10.1 installer that would allow me to restrict that while still allowing the base 10.10 installer? We need to prevent people from installing 10.10.1 while we do our standard testing to make sure it's not going to blow anything up.

8 REPLIES 8

cbrewer
Valued Contributor II

Use Restricted Software to block Yosemite. Users will still be able to upgrade using Self Service if you've made it available there. Don't add the 10.10.1 copy of Install OS X Yosemite.app to Casper Admin until you're ready.

Blocking the update should be easy if you are using an internal software update server.

Edit: The process you want to block is *Yosemite* and do not check "Restrict exact process name."

znilsson
Contributor II

Ok thanks. I had to add the updater to Casper already to begin testing, but it's not scoped out to anybody yet. We're not using an internal software update server, so that method isn't an option.

dpertschi
Valued Contributor

Send the 10.10 machines a script, or just the command, for software update to ignore that update;

softwareupdate -i <name of update>

Run softwareupdate -list on one of the machines to get the proper name.

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

Looking at the man page I think -i tells software update to install the update. To ignore it you use --ignore.

My Mac App Store is connecting to a23214-64-56.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com (from the UK) so it might be pretty tricky to pin it down by blocking URLs.

Not a technical solution but I would probably send out an email to the users advising them not to update to 10.10.1.

znilsson
Contributor II

End users, they don't listen to anything we say. That's why we have to take the hard nosed approach.

dpertschi
Valued Contributor

Opps, good grief; yes -ignore.

As in -ignore what I'm saying or you'll have the opposite of what you need!

guidotti
Contributor II

Actually it's softwareupdate -l or softwareupdate --list ;)

tkimpton
Valued Contributor II

The process is actually called InstallAssistant

If you just put *Yosemite* that is not the binary process name and users will circumvent it by just renaming it.

[edit] putting a restricted process on InstallAssistant will stop both 10.10 and 10.10.1 mind and its a difficult thing to accomplish whilst stopping users rename it