HTTP Downloads?

Poseiden951
Contributor

Hello everyone,

I'm curious as to why my Adobe applications are failing on HTTP download, I'm currently testing the deployment of nine Adobe CC applications. It works fine when installed during imaging, individually in policies or using self service. But, running a policy that kicks off at startup/recurring checkin to 20 iMac's makes the installer fail with the error:

Downloading http://ipaddress/CasperShare/Packages/AdobeDreamweaver_Install.pkg.zip...
Installing Adobe Dreamweaver...
Installation failed. The installer reported: installer: Package name is AdobeDreamweaver
installer: Upgrading at base path /
installer: The upgrade failed (The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.)

The policy consists of 17 applications, and only the Adobe applications fail. Everything else installs fine.

Basically, it works fine every other way besides using it in a mass policy. Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Caitlin_H
New Contributor III

I would check the Adobe logs because it says the installer encountered an issue. It may be that they don't hold any information but it is worth a peek.

Adobe has several log locations:

1) /private/var/log/install.log
2) /tmp/oobelib.log
3) /tmp/amt3.log
4) ~/Library/Logs/PDApp.log
(It might be that out of 2,3 and 4 a few are not present. Ignore those not present on the system)

If the installer is having an issue an error should be listed in one of those, you can then research the error further.

I have encountered issues deploying Adobe packages over HTTP in the past and found that forcing AFP/SMB usually works.

Hope the info helps!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

chriscollins
Valued Contributor

Are you sure it is failing at the download because from that output it looks like the installer is failing itself once the package is already downloaded.

Poseiden951
Contributor

@chriscollins

Where can I find the logs of where it exactly failed? jamf.log is no help, it only fails once its added with other packages. Other than that, it works!

edit: I know the packages have no issues because it installs on Self Service, Casper Imaging and manually.

Poseiden951
Contributor

I'll try logging in and running the policy again, I'll report back.

Caitlin_H
New Contributor III

I would check the Adobe logs because it says the installer encountered an issue. It may be that they don't hold any information but it is worth a peek.

Adobe has several log locations:

1) /private/var/log/install.log
2) /tmp/oobelib.log
3) /tmp/amt3.log
4) ~/Library/Logs/PDApp.log
(It might be that out of 2,3 and 4 a few are not present. Ignore those not present on the system)

If the installer is having an issue an error should be listed in one of those, you can then research the error further.

I have encountered issues deploying Adobe packages over HTTP in the past and found that forcing AFP/SMB usually works.

Hope the info helps!

Poseiden951
Contributor

@Caitlin_H

Using AFP/SMB worked, but it was odd.

I forced all Adobe applications to install over SMB and the rest over HTTP (two policies). Here's the log:

Downloading http://ipaddress/CasperShare/Packages/Adobe%20Photoshop_Install.pkg.zip...
Installing Adobe Photoshop...
Successfully installed Adobe Photoshop.
Downloading eclipse.pkg...
Downloading http://ipaddress/CasperShare/Packages/eclipse.pkg...
Installing Eclipse-java-luna-SR2-macosx-cocoa...

Even though I forced Adobe over SMB, it still showed as an HTTP download. At least it worked, yay?

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

The Adobe updates are usually finicky about running processes & usually want to be installed from a cached copy.

Might be worth caching locally then installing at logout?

Poseiden951
Contributor

@bentoms

I'm in an EDU setting and we re-image our Mac's during the summer. Having software install during startup/login is ideal for us. During the school year we make use of caching/installing at logout.

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@Poseiden951 sorry I missed an important part of the 1st post.

Adobe installers need a user logged in.

Which is why they work @ imaging & fail @ other times.

So startup should fail.