iLife '11: How To - Option 3

Not applicable

I found a way to automate the install The Right Way™, including installing package receipts and such (necessary for permissions repair, I'd expect):

mkdir "/private/tmp/iLife '11"
cp "/Volumes/iLife '11 Install DVD/Installer/Packages"/* "/private/tmp/iLife '11"
sudo chown -R root:wheel "/private/tmp/iLife '11"
sudo chmod -R -N "/private/tmp/iLife '11"
sudo chmod 700 "/private/tmp/iLife '11"
sudo chmod 600 "/private/tmp/iLife '11"/*
open /private/tmp

Now open Composer, make an empty package, and drag the iLife '11 folder into it. When it's done copying, add a postflight script:

#!/bin/sh
## postflight

pathToScript=$0
pathToPackage=$1
targetLocation=$2
targetVolume=$3

/usr/sbin/installer -package "${2}/private/tmp/iLife '11/iLife.pkg" -target "${2}" && /bin/rm -rf "${2}/private/tmp/iLife '11"

Save as PKG, and import it into Casper. It should work on any system that iLife '11 can install on. I've tested it on the new MacBook Pros with 10.6.7. A reboot is not required when you use this method. In theory, it might even work at imaging time, though I haven't tested it.

6 REPLIES 6

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi Ben,

Interesting, we're about half way through a refresh (about 100 Macs to go), or I'd give this a go. Good point on the receipts, hadn't thought of that. For now I'll grab them and push to the folks who got our iLife 11 package. I really wish Apple would make this a simple MPKG installer...

We've got more refreshes coming, I'll see if we can test this (deploy at imaging time after boot).

Thanks,
Don

--
https://donmontalvo.com

Not applicable

Hello,

I have a package that I set up using the method below.. Its working
fine with Apple remote desktop but I cannot get it to run at imaging
time.. is there any trick to get it working at image time?

BTW im only using casper imaging.. nto the full suite.

Thanks, casey

Hi Ben,

Interesting, we're about half way through a refresh (about 100 Macs to
go), or I'd give this a go. Good point on the receipts, hadn't thought
of that. For now I'll grab them and push to the folks who got our
iLife 11 package. I really wish Apple would make this a simple MPKG
installer...

We've got more refreshes coming, I'll see if we can test this (deploy
at imaging time after boot).

Thanks,
Don

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

I mentioned this to JAMF Support about a year ago. The DIFF files really should go into:

/Library/Application Support/JAMF/Composer/Diffs/8.21

Note the version number in the path, to prevent compatibility issues.

PS, as per Craig's advice, I am BCC'ing JAMF Support.

Thanks,
Don

--
https://donmontalvo.com

Not applicable

Casey,

Scanned by the Computers Now Firewall

ernstcs
Contributor III

If my understanding is correct, the higher you want a feature request to get in the queue the more individuals you need to say they want it.

If you like a feature request you see on the list, forward that message to support, say that you want this, and give a nice explanation of how or why you'd use that so they make sure they understand what it is you want.

I'm sure support loves me now! Bad part, most of them can walk to my office and string me up! I'll take my chances. They're pretty dang nice. =D

Craig E

Not applicable

Well its one of those things that during a jumpstart I have to make people aware of. There is nothing worse than creating a diff and loosing it.

I like the idea of a diff location as per Don's post. Maybe keep the current Diff's and have a sym link to a "UserDiff's" folder, I suppose it would mean ensuring Composer recursively scanned directories (it does not currently), but a symlink inside it does work to a specific file.

I copied my Diffs to this location and ran this command to create the sym link's in Composer (note the command is a single line incase it gets word wrapped)

-----------------
ln -s /Library/Application Support/JAMF/Composer/Diffs/8.21/* /Applications/Casper Suite/Composer.app/Contents/Support/NewPackageOptions/Software/
-----------------

And point taken on support, they have been good to me and love to hear from all of us.. :-D

TT