Insert Background Image on Lock Screen?

G-Lo
New Contributor III

Hi Nation,

We are currently using the Required Password preference in Managed Preferences. When the lock screen kicks in, our users see a black screen and must type their credentials to unlock the screen.

I've been asked to temporarily re-brand our lock screen. The goal is to replace the black screen with an image. Probably a .jpg.

I'd appreciate any tips on how to get this accomplished.

Thanks,

G Lo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

I'd be very surprised if this is possible. I don't think the black background you see is an image at all, so I doubt there's anything to replace or a preference to point to.
The best you may be able to do is dictate all the Macs use a custom branded screensaver. When the lock screen kicks in it actually runs the selected screensaver shortly after.

This is different than say, the login screen that comes up before someone actually logs into their account. I believe there may be some ways to customize that, but not really the normal lock screen outside of a screensaver module.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

I'd be very surprised if this is possible. I don't think the black background you see is an image at all, so I doubt there's anything to replace or a preference to point to.
The best you may be able to do is dictate all the Macs use a custom branded screensaver. When the lock screen kicks in it actually runs the selected screensaver shortly after.

This is different than say, the login screen that comes up before someone actually logs into their account. I believe there may be some ways to customize that, but not really the normal lock screen outside of a screensaver module.

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

The lock screen should show the users desktop image in the background.

What do you have yours set to?

G-Lo
New Contributor III

The only Managed Preference options I have ticked in screensaver.ByHost are Idle Time and Required Password.