Installing VirtualBox & Extension Pack -Catalina

rmgmedia
New Contributor III

I am trying to use a policy to install VirtualBox in Catalina. I used the package downloaded from the VB but it continues to fail. Does anybody have a way of deploying this successfully? Sometimes it says "failed" but it does get installed.
I would also like to do the same with the Extension Pack (s).

5 REPLIES 5

pete_c
Contributor III

I've been using the VirtualBox packages created by AutoPkgr recipe and they deploy properly.

You should consider the license for the Extension Pack though: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/VirtualBox_PUEL

§ 2 Grant of license. Oracle grants you a personal, non-exclusive, non-transferable, limited license without fees to reproduce, install, execute, and use internally the Product on Host Computers for your Personal Use, Educational Use, or Evaluation. “Personal Use” is noncommercial use solely by the person downloading the Product from Oracle on a single Host Computer, provided that no more than one client or remote computer is connected to that Host Computer and that client or remote computer is used solely to remotely view the Guest Computer(s). “Educational Use” is any use by teachers or students in an academic institution (schools, colleges and universities) as part of the institution’s educational curriculum. “Evaluation” means testing the Product for up to thirty (30) days; after expiry of that term, you are no longer permitted to use the Product. Personal Use and/or Educational Use expressly exclude any use of the Product for commercial purposes or to operate, run, or act on behalf of or for the benefit of a business, organization, governmental organization, or educational institution.

rmgmedia
New Contributor III

Another issue I've noticed is that it is asking for a lot of different permissions in Catalina to run any VM and they all require Admin credentials.
Is it possible to create a policy or a script that will help with this?

PE2000
Contributor

Hi

I am also seeing permission issues...

any ideas?

Thanks

zhiguo_zhang
New Contributor

you need to make one profile to support Virtual Box Approved Kernel Extensions, then users can run virtual Box smoothly, even user has not admin permssion.
approve team id: VB5E2TV963 and KERNEL EXTENSION BUNDLE ID:org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxNetFlt,org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxUSB,org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxNetUSB,org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxDrv,org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxNetAdp

PSU-UL
New Contributor II

Is that kernel extension or Apple's new system extensions? I just installed vbox-6.1.18 on Big Sur and it wanted approval of Oracle's System Extension (and a reboot). Will the above profile resolve this for my users?

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but if you approve the teamID, then all extensions distributed by that team are automatically approved, correct? So do you really need to approve the individual kexts?