Introducing Jamf Pro Dark Mode (unofficial)

bradtchapman
Valued Contributor II

Hey all,

I made a thing to save my eyes (and hopefully yours):

https://userstyles.org/styles/170527/jamf-pro-dark-mode
GitHub Source

Please read the installation notes carefully to activate the style.

Tested pretty extensively in Chrome; works in Firefox too. Unfortunately Safari is not possible at the moment until Stylish (or someone else) submits an app for Mojave / Safari 12. While Safari can load custom CSS via Preferences > Advanced, Jamf's CSS has some 'global' declarations in the first few lines for typefaces and I can't easily work around that AFAIK.

This is my first attempt to do anything remotely approaching 'front end web development' in over a decade. If I've missed anything obvious or made an amateurish / inefficient CSS gaffe, please let me know here and/or make code suggestions at my github repo.

I've uploaded some screenshots here to whet your appetite.

f73b1c0981f344dd8e63e79d6c019489
e2c1a4f142ba46a7be0767f336252fd5
06e1260459924097b1ea9ffea29955c0
d09ef6d3876e47cc931feb9fb59f91ca
f60bd90e33e7404da795950ccd7b3567
5451411c85bf41958edde6efbbeaacea
0f68984196db4a4987d6c84f38b700f9
a33c3e78250244efac7e70762cc5766e
798da9721ccf4f298557381f5850eaef
f7cde221ff0e4e3db092f3fa008f19a9
39178b738fa0456bbe0dcbd4fe66204f
5a5cdb55c6f843a49ae6c0ff2a76a20b
07347c29b7994ba796abca68f7174091

41 REPLIES 41

ryan_ball
Valued Contributor

@bradtchapman That does look great!

landon_Starr
Contributor

This is the greatest Monday I've ever had! Nice job on this!

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

I love this, but I must be an idiot, because for some reason I can't get this working in Firefox. I haven't used Stylish before, but I have the add-on installed and also have the style sheet installed. I think I followed the instructions on changing the Applies to line correctly and saved. Even restarted Firefox. Still not seeing the style sheet apply, so I'm obviously doing it wrong somewhere.
Does this work with both cloud hosted and on-prem installs, or just the latter?

Edit: I also tried the instructions off your GitHub page, after removing the previously installed style. Still no dice. I'm still seeing a lot of white panels.

Edit 2: Ok, got it to work. I'm not sure if this is common knowledge that I just never had, but the URL you enter cannot have the https:// in the beginning of it it seems. I did not know that. So just thought I'd post that here in case anyone else runs into that.

@bradtchapman Thanks for putting this together. Clearly a lot of work, so it's greatly appreciated! Jamf really should make something like this official.

waqas_khan
New Contributor III

@bradtchapman eye candy, for sure :)

bradtchapman
Valued Contributor II

@mm2270 - I don’t have a cloud instance to verify, but it should work on both since the style sheet would be the same.

When you look at the style in the Stylish editor, you should not see a @moz-document line at the top. Stylish filters that out, but they required me to choose a domain so I had configured it initially for jss.pretendco.com . Only Firefox respects this setting. You need to change the “applies to” setting to match your site. I recommend “URLs in the domain” instead of just URL.

Is the style enabled?

mm2270

@bradtchapman Thanks! See my edit #2 to my post above. I wasn't aware it could not have the https:// in the URL. Once I removed that it worked immediately!

bradtchapman
Valued Contributor II

Thank you @mm2270 ! That means a lot. Glad it’s helping folks.

bradtchapman
Valued Contributor II

I found a few more little oversights this morning and updated the github as well as Stylish. It was some 'small' Jamf buttons, and the 'completed' stage of the Jamf Assistant which you'd only see when exporting reports from a search. Oddly enough, I hadn't actually tested that. 😅

Very happy that so many people liked this and found it useful!

If you installed this from Stylish, go back to the link at userstyles.org and click "Update Style."

(Jamf: if you're listening, your customers really want a native dark mode!)

ThijsX
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Great!!!

jsherwood
Contributor

Loving what you've done @bradtchapman - for me I had to set the theme to apply to "URLs starting with" for it to kick in.

I've use the updated CSS from GitHub and compared to your screenshots, the annoying fade effect on scroll lists is still "Light" rather than "Dark" - am I missing a trick somewhere?

bradtchapman
Valued Contributor II

@jsherwood Where in the JSS do you see this screen? And did you install from Stylish or Github?

jsherwood
Contributor

@bradtchapman I installed from Github as couldn't seem to get it to kick in at all using the CSS from Stylish.

I'm (so far) seeing the light scroll on the Dashboard
70ec5f696a94485d93904706807a3d88

And also at the foot of the Scripts screen in Settings
a1ac90cda8214f4ba970a4486254c814

I'll try and grab another Mac to test it on so see if it's my machine glitching out

bradtchapman
Valued Contributor II

That area should either fade to black or grey, definitely not white. Can you join slack and ping me?

I’d recommend using Stylish, only because it supports updating the style if I submit changes (afaik it’s a notification, not automatic).

mm2270

FWIW, I am also seeing that fade to white in my JSS, but ONLY in the dashboard items. I hadn't noticed it yesterday.
Mine was manually added from the GitHub code. I could try removing it and installing it from within Stylish. But as said, in other areas where there is a fade, it fades to black and sometimes very very dark grey
My guess is it's a different style sheet for the fades on the dashboard than in other areas.

Just FYI, I'm also seeing the fade to white on the scripts page, at least under 10.10.x. The scripts page displayed differently in prior versions. Jamf seems to have moved to a table view on that page now, so there must be some additional style applied there.

6dab5e5a02af40fcbd2e891e35973b23

The rollover highlight for scripts also turns white, which may not be how you intended it to look.

04a8339868c145b9b7bffde4503e404d

Even with these issues, I'm still liking it! But these small issues highlight why Jamf really should be the one doing this, not a community member who may have to play a constant game of whack-a-mole.

bradtchapman
Valued Contributor II

@mm2270 , @jsherwood, I am looking at the Settings > Computer Management > Scripts page and do not have the white rollover as you see. Mine ends at the bottom of the page, no fade. Are we talking about the same area? Can you show a bit more of your screenshot (mask sensitive data)?

I just reinstalled the theme from Stylish. No issues in Firefox or Chrome.

mm2270

@bradtchapman Sure thing. Uploading a couple of other screenshots. Note that I went back and reinstalled the style via Stylish, just to be sure I am using the latest version. Still the same result. Here is a view of the Scripts page while on Jamf Pro 10.10.1. The red outlined area is the white fade I am seeing. This is with Firefox version 66.0.2 (latest version)

434c791ac2c74bdcb5e11e6f82c89f84

Here is a view of a dashboard item. Smaller area, but you can see the small white fade section at the bottom.

38bd00d9fb474b5a9a02d277e39661ac

In contrast, here is a view of a policy, which shows the proper fade to black section at the bottom.

10c3eeede8704f7287c6d777f3659ad7

You did mention that the fading parts were tricky to locate and modify, or that there were a lot of style elements associated with those. I suspect there are a few pieces that slipped through that still need to be adjusted so they don't show up with the white fade.

Hope the above helps.

Edit: Forgot to mention it, but in case it wasn't obvious, the dashboard item above is a patch title, not a policy. Interestingly, regular policies don't have the fade area, so it doesn't show up on those.

bradtchapman
Valued Contributor II

@mm2270 : Strange. I don't see it there, but I did find it elsewhere:

User-Initiated Enrollment > Messaging.

I see exactly what the problem is, will update in Github and Stylish.

First is a a class called '.jamf-standard-buttons' and the offending line is the background: linear-gradient.

.jamf-standard-buttons
{
    background: linear-gradient(to bottom,rgba(255,255,255,0) 0,rgba(255,255,255,0.75) 25%,rgba(255,255,255,0.95) 50%);
    position: fixed;
    display: flex;
    -webkit-box-align: start;
    -ms-flex-align: start;
    align-items: flex-start;
    -ms-flex-wrap: wrap;
    flex-wrap: wrap;
    bottom: 0;
    right: 0;
    left: 0;
    z-index: 1;
    padding: 21px;
}

The second part, the table with the white highlight, is part of the .jamf-table-theme class. Backround is #fff (white) and text color is #666 (medium gray). My defaults are #3f3f3f (dark gray) and #dddddd (near white).

I also discovered that I had a duplicate reference to '.jamf-table-theme.' My bad!

.jamf-table-theme
{
    background-color: #fff;
    color: #666;
    font: 400 14px ProximaNova,"Helvetica Nueu",Verdana,sans-serif;
}

Incidentally, the spelling of "Helvetica Nueu" is incorrect and it's all over the CSS. :-( I left it alone because it doesn't affect my modifications.

jsherwood
Contributor

@bradtchapman Done a bit of digging and looks like the Patch Policy Dashboard items are using

.jamf-patch-summary.is-on-dashboard .jamf-inner-list::after 
{
     background: -webkit-gradient(linear,left top,left bottom,from(rgba(255,255,255,0)),color-stop(75%,#fff),to(#fff));
     background: linear-gradient(to bottom,rgba(255,255,255,0) 0,#fff 75%,#fff 100%);
     bottom: 0;
     content: "";
     height: 25px;
     left: 0;
     position: absolute;
     width: 100%;
}

I did a live edit in the Chrome dev tools replacing #fff with #2f2f2f in 'background: linear-gradient' and everything looks like it should on the fade.

There is a little display inconsistency in the Patch Policy items which can be seen in the screenshot below - it (on my dashboard at least) seems to manifest where all the version numbers are < 8 chars (i.e. Firefox)...as soon as you have have something longer (i.e. Microsoft Word) where we also have 'Unknown' listed (7 chars) then the background covers the full width.

bbeda2efc00747a78b243d117f39b3df

I've not worked that one out yet but it could be unrelated to the CSS as the white background would have masked this.

bradtchapman
Valued Contributor II

I found another funny stylesheet definition: ".jumbotron" - it's the /enroll screen.

mm2270

Things are looking more unified with each little addition. I included @jsherwood's edit above and that more or less takes care of the patch dashboard items, though it seems the text showing the version breakdown in those exists in it's own dark panel that makes it look a little odd under certain circumstances. No biggie though.

But I did see this. On the Scripts page and the Buildings page (both of which use a table view) there is an odd rollover anomaly. Take a look at these screenshots. The lighter grey rows, when moused over, highlight to a dark blue, which is good.

748e112feb814ba5bf7b8075345553b0

But the darker grey rows, when moused over, look like this:
b7239d73659940429f63b0c8d10e7a97

They turn almost completely white, but the text in the category and priority columns is still a light grey, so it almost completely disappears. I'm guessing something got missed in whatever controls that and the highlight should also turn dark blue or a dark grey or something else other than white.
If I find what's causing that, I'll post back with any info.

Edit: Well, I see the section in the style sheet that controls the table options (.jamf-table-theme) and the .ag-row-hover, which is already set to highlight to color background-color: #268aff; is there, but for some reason it only applies to the even rows, not odd. As for that, it depends on how you view it. It looks like Jamf Pro considers the header to be row 1, so an odd row, and then goes from there. So the first row under the header (row 2) highlights properly, and then the next row (3) does not, and so on.

It's been years since I even played around a little with CSS and style sheets, and even then I only ever knew a little of it, so I'm lost in what needs to be edited to fix that issue. It's possible it may not even be fixable I suppose.

jsherwood
Contributor

@bradtchapman @mm2270 A couple more tweaks:

.jamf-patch-summary.is-on-dashboard .jamf-inner-list thead, .jamf-patch-summary.is-on-dashboard .jamf-inner-list tbody {
    display: block;
    background: #2f2f2f;
}

This seems to cure the variable border I mentioned earlier

.jamf-patch-summary .jamf-inner-list thead th, .jamf-patch-summary .jamf-inner-list tbody tr:nth-child(odd), .jamf-patch-summary .jamf-inner-list tbody tr:nth-child(even) {
    background: #3f3f3f;
    width: 92px;
}

This widens the Version/Device header to fill the newly darkened background

eprice
New Contributor II

@bradtchapman this is awesome! Thank you for sharing!

m_donovan
Contributor III

If I update from Stylish do I get these tweaks?

bradtchapman
Valued Contributor II

@m.donovan yes!

I haven’t implemented all of the fixes just yet, though, but check back soon.

Gennaro
New Contributor III

Love everything about this so far, solid work!

If anyone can be sure to up-vote the feature request and maybe the good ol'e Jamf admins will give us the gift of dark mode!

https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/feature-requests/8380/dark-mode-for-the-jamf-pro-web-admin-panel

bradtchapman
Valued Contributor II

@jsherwood : the reason for the inconsistency is that I had a background gradient to RGBA(24,24,24,0). I picked it arbitrarily as I was hacking away at this stylesheet. That turned out to be too dark to match #3f3f3f, it looked ugly on all the screens with buttons, so I raised the color to RGBA(47,47,47,0).

I've incorporated the dashboard adjustment into the style sheet on github and stylish. Confirmed it applied correctly by adding a patch management title to the dashboard.

bradtchapman
Valued Contributor II

Another update: if you ever receive an 'access denied' message, this calls the 'jamf-splash' page elements. I've fixed the colors and updated the style sheet everywhere.

jsherwood
Contributor

@bradtchapman Found another one - the pop-up guides that appear when you click on the little 'i' bubbles (example: when creating a PPPC payload on Configuration Profiles there is one next to IDENTIFIER).

These are presenting as light grey text on a white background - will try and work on it tomorrow, looks like a div class "pendo-guide" (underscore either side, markdown is stripping them out!) along with some variations on the name are involved.

bradtchapman
Valued Contributor II

Today I updated the Dark Mode theme in two ways:

• Reverted back to site default font choices. Although San Francisco font is superior to whatever Jamf is using, this global font change was affecting the Script pane by using proportional font instead of monospace. Reverting will fix this.

• Fixed a pale blue hover color in the Patch Management section; the new color is dark blue, to ensure text is still readable when the mouse is hovering over that row. Should help other screens with similar table UI.

Please update your styles. Note: you will need to edit the domain in the Stylish control panel back to your Jamf Pro domain. The default is pretendco.

remus
New Contributor III

Is there a chance you could make this compatible with Cascadea so we can use it in Safari?
Thank you! :)

macninja_IO
New Contributor III

@bradtchapman That look awesome 👍🏻
I'll definitely pester every jammer I can to get this implemented.
It's really great!

adam_richardson
New Contributor II

@bradtchapman This style is great. One thing I have found is that on the dashboard Patch Management Statuses boxes are still white.

0bacee9870644b70a5fc2367e1c2b89a

bradtchapman
Valued Contributor II

@adam.richardson : sorry but mine doesn’t look like that. Appears fine with a dark background. Are you sure you have the latest version of the theme? Maybe try removing and adding again.

adam_richardson
New Contributor II

@bradtchapman I do have the latest version, although I am using Edge browser. I was able to resolve the issue by adding the following to the code

.chart-widget
{
    background-color: #3f3f3f;
}

I'm definitely not a CSS expert, but it seems to have done the trick, thanks.

marklamont
Contributor III

excellent work @bradtchapman . It works great on jamfcloud as well. A couple of the newer features in Settings don't display dark, Cloud Identity Providers and enrolment customisations but looks ok apart from that. Now if we could turn jamf | nation dark as well :-)

bradtchapman
Valued Contributor II

@marklamont - thanks. It seems Jamf is using YET ANOTHER NEW STYLE in these areas, instead of reusing existing ones. Our on-prem environment is on 10.15.1 so I won’t be able to check these new areas until I request a beta instance of 10.18.

bradtchapman
Valued Contributor II

I've just updated my Jamf Pro Dark Mode CSS style sheet to deal with some subtle changes with Jamf Pro 10.19. Github source.

mwoodard87
New Contributor III

Hello, Any updates to this in 2022? Smart Group lists are completely white? Wondering if anyone has updated the CSS?

Dedicated12
New Contributor

Looks like with the new version of Jamfpro we have a style-breaking new user interface. Jamf Pro 11.0.1