iOS - Allow removal of apps but not self-service.

clittle
New Contributor II

I want to allow the users to remove/delete apps that were installed via Self Service but I do not want them to be able to delete the Self Service app. Or, if they do delete Self Service I would like it to be pushed back down to device immediately. Is there a way to do this?

6 REPLIES 6

clittle
New Contributor II

I thought I figured this out but add Self Service to the available apps and have it install automatically does not seem to work.

So again, is there a way to allow deleting of app's but not Self Service? Or is there a way to have Self Service auto push out when it is deleted.

Thanks

mpermann
Valued Contributor II

@clittle if "Install Automatically" is checked in Settings -> Computer Management -> Self Service it will automatically install at the next recurring checkin. At least it is for me.

cpdecker
Contributor III

@clittle We are using a Self Service web clip rather than the App, and I have never seen any user given the option to remove it. I do not know the implications of using the web clip versus the App, however. There might be a setting somewhere that was configured during our Jump Start that I did not see or do not remember. All of our devices are supervised using a prestage enrollment.

mpermann
Valued Contributor II

@clittle I didn't read your post closely the first time. I see you were asking about iOS and not Mac OS. I think with iOS you need to go to Settings -> Mobile Device Management -> Self Service and set the Install Automatically drop down to the appropriate option. We, like @cpdecker, are currently using the Self Service Web clip as our option. I don't think users can delete the Self Service web clip but I don't have my iPad with me to confirm that.

Slicer
New Contributor III

I realize that I am reviving an old thread. I wanted to ask, in a situation similar to this, is there a way to create a restriction that allows students to uninstall apps that were installed via Self Service? Right now my student restriction is set so that students cannot uninstall any app. Thanks!

jbisgett
Contributor II

In iOS 14, there's a new feature that allows you to flag an app as non-removeable. This was added to Jamf Pro right after iOS 14 was released. The default setting is to allow the app to be removed, but unchecking the box will make the app non-removable. The option is listed on the general settings of the mobile device app. Then you can remove the option in the configuration profile that prevents them from removing any apps.

Just have to make sure that the device is on iOS 14 or the non-removeable option will not be recognized.