iPad blocking search terms in Safari and Chrome

kristinlynch
New Contributor II

Hello:

We're on a 1:1 iPad program. We use Linewize as our safety filter.

Over the past few days I've had three kids report an issue with searching within Safari. I've been able to determine they have the same issue with searching within Google Chrome.

If they enter in a full or even short url, the page loads. If they enter search criteria or just 'cnn' without adding the .com, they get a block page. Other apps such as PowerSchool, Schoology, etc. that rely on Internet access all work fine.

I haven't changed anything in Jamf within the past few months -- other than updating their Microsoft365 email settings -- and I'm the only Jamf administrator.

I can't find any proxy settings that would be in place. I tried switching one student to manual DNS using 8.8.8.8 and 4.4.4.4 but that didn't fix the problem. I also tried the OpenDNS numbers. I've confirmed they're not using a hotspot or VPNs.

So if they type a URL into the Safari/Chrome field, the page loads, but if they just type in a search term, they get the 'block' screen. I suspect the problem may be at least a bit more widespread and those kids just haven't noticed or haven't reported it.

Often, the resulting page says: 'Safari cannot open the page because the network connection was lost.'

Has anyone else seen this? Even better, has anyone had this happen and figured out a solution?

Thank you in advance for any advice!

1 REPLY 1

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

Since you have not changed anything in JAMF, there are really two, maybe three other things to look at.

1. If you have a security client installed on the iPads, whoever manages that could have changed a configuration.
  2. Your network filters/firewalls may have been updated and are blocking the traffic
  3. If apple changed something with a recent update. The good thing is Apple has not released an Update since before Christmas, so this should be easy to rule out. This is also the least likely to be possible.

I very highly doubt this is a MDM issue, my money is on network or security and possibly a combination of them both.