iPad off wifi, any other ideas?

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

I have an iPad, iOS 9.3.2. Unknown passcode is set. Wifi is not connected. Apple ID/ iCloud password is known. It has a config profile for the wifi in the current location. iPad is now fully charged.

Trying to recover data.

Using the camera adapter gadgets (I have old & new), in iCloud I can put it into lost mode and send ping, and it will ping, and I have also successfully removed it from iCloud Lost Mode. After making some minimal connection to iCloud it still shows offline.
It has not made contact with JSS to clear passcode.

I've tried putting in recovery mode, and no computer (10.11 or 10.12) sees the device in Apple Configurator (1 or 2) or iTunes.

Thinking I'm done unless anyone has any additional tricks to try that will preserve data.
TIA
Sandy

7 REPLIES 7

spif_spaceman
New Contributor III

I would predict that you're going to have to Wipe and Restore to get this iPad working again...

But here are some tips that I have used.

Plug in the modified cable to establish ethernet connection
Cancel all Commands in JSS
Don't send Update Inventory, and cancel any other command you see occur in JSS
Send Clear Passcode only
Wait 10 minutes
If Passcode has not cleared, leave Lightning adapter plugged in
Hold down Power button and slide to Power off iPad
Wait 2 minutes
Power up iPad with Power button
Wait 10 minutes
Unplug the iPad from Lightning adapter

cnelson
Contributor

Something that has worked for me is at the Lock screen, if the device hasn't been restarted or turned off, you can swipe up from the bottom to get to the Control Center. Turn off Wi-Fi, wait a couple seconds and turn Wi-Fi back on and it should reconnect. If that doesn't work then yeah you are probably going to have to wipe and reload.

pellis
New Contributor II

whoa whoa whoaaaa....how can you get an ethernet connection plugged into an iPad???? please do tell me this sounds amazing...

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

@pellis

http://www.cultofmac.com/425400/when-wi-fi-is-out-use-ethernet-to-get-online-with-your-ipad/

pellis
New Contributor II

duuuuuuuude that is so awesome, ok im on it! Does this work fairly well for you?

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

It usually works well. it did not work in this instance.

pellis
New Contributor II

That is awesome info. Thank you much! :)