iPad Pro 12.9" Stuck in single app mode - NO wifi

Randydid
Contributor II

This might be a simple fix but I have searched and my Google-Fu is weak after Daylight Saving Time ;-).

I have a supervised 12.9" iPad that is in Single App mode. Somehow, it lost the Wifi and cannot be managed/reset/etc. by JAMF Pro. I have tried to reset it and put it in recovery mode but it will not go Plugging it into a MacBook Pro and iTunes yields the "This device is supervised by another device...."

It seems that I have an unmanageable device that I cannot get back. Seems there has to be a way to get control of it again. Ideas?

TIA,

/randy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Randydid
Contributor II

The only way I was able to get control again was by exporting a Supervision Profile From Jamf Pro and then importing it into Apple Configurator and doing a full restore from there.

Passing TCP/IP through USB did not work. The Apple Store near me only had Belkin USB Dongles that failed to work for me either.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

danreedphoto
New Contributor III

Lightning to ethernet adapter. I think I paid $10 for 1 on Amazon.

Randydid
Contributor II

@danreedphoto We have some Belkin USB C dongles but I have not had any luck. I suppose they must be Apple branded?

/randy

Randydid
Contributor II

Never mind, I just did not hold the 'Top' Button long enough. With enough time, it did let me get into Recovery mode.

Off to get more coffee,

/randy

mcarasso
New Contributor III

you can also pass networking through the USB on your mac in Mojave.

Randydid
Contributor II

Spoke too soon. I tried an update and restore but it still reverts to the Device is supervised. Going to purchase an OEM Apple USB C to ethernet dongle.

Randydid
Contributor II

The only way I was able to get control again was by exporting a Supervision Profile From Jamf Pro and then importing it into Apple Configurator and doing a full restore from there.

Passing TCP/IP through USB did not work. The Apple Store near me only had Belkin USB Dongles that failed to work for me either.

wveale
New Contributor II

Hi, 

I had the same issue. I solved this in the past by passing the internet through my MacBook. This didn't seem to work this time though as others have pointed out. However, after taking the device back to my office and using my laptop again but docked (ethernet connection), it seemed to have worked just fine and I was able to remove the device from single app mode. 

lambersley
New Contributor

I ran into the same issue.  After half hour of total befuddlement, I popped a SIM card into the iPad and forced reboot (Sleep+Home buttons).  On reboot I saw the network activity bars in the top right, which meant I could now manage the device OTA again.  Crisis averted.