iPad Profiles Disappeared

khurram
Contributor III

Hi Guys,

This issue has been fixed by jamf but this recently happened on our college's Principal's ipad.

We usually have 7 profiles on staff ipads 1x MDM profile, 1x certificate paylod, 1x Self Service and 4x Configuration Profiles. The Principal while outside the school premises over weekend lost the configuration profiles and the rest of the aforementioned profiles stayed on his iPad.

It was later on fixed at school by just connecting the iPad to the Internet and then passing a command from jss.

I am just wondering that if the profiles can still slip from the iPads just like that.

is there anyone else who is facing the same issue.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

blackholemac
Valued Contributor III

I have had, but it was because actions we had taken internally had forced the device to fall out of it's smart group...start by looking at your smart groups and seeing whether your principal's device fell out of the smart group for some reason (perhaps you set iOS version criteria in your group and the user upgraded his iOS release), perhaps another trigger such as subnets, buildings or apps or something...that is the first place to check is whether his device fell out of a scoped smart group.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

blackholemac
Valued Contributor III

I have had, but it was because actions we had taken internally had forced the device to fall out of it's smart group...start by looking at your smart groups and seeing whether your principal's device fell out of the smart group for some reason (perhaps you set iOS version criteria in your group and the user upgraded his iOS release), perhaps another trigger such as subnets, buildings or apps or something...that is the first place to check is whether his device fell out of a scoped smart group.

khurram
Contributor III

@blackholemac][/url
Thanks for pointing this out and we found the same reasons that you have mentioned behind this problem. Our Enrolment Profile has settings for Department and Building but some of the iPads when enrolled, they didn't pick up the Building and Department setting. To find out all such iPad, we created another Smart group where Department and Building is null and this query returned us 25 iPads. We are just wondering that when the iPads are enrolled they pick up the rest of the information like username, Name and email from the Directory services but they didn't pick up the Building and Department information from the enrolment profile. I have noticed this behaviour before while preparing students one-to-one ipads. In this process, after we have supervised the iPad from the Apple Configurator and the MDM profile is installed then we go to (Choose an iPad --> Inventory --> User and Location), here I notice that the department and building information is present from before but when we enter the username (to assign that iPad to a particular student) then it picks up the information from the Directory Serevices like username, Name and email but the Department and Building information is set to null and we then set it again. I know that our Directory Services has no settings for Department and Building but I think the JSS should have a behaviour where we should have an option to pick up the Department and Building settings either from Directory Services or Enrolment Profile.

khurram
Contributor III

I have raised a Feature Request.
https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/featureRequest.html?id=2497