iPads and large USB hubs

Randydid
Contributor II

I have googled but cannot find a definitive answer to this. I have a customer that has a 'cart' with 30 iPads. He bought it before consulting IT. Basically, I discovered that it is a housing, two power strips and that is it. I ordered two of these: https://www.amazon.com/Manhattan-Products-161718-MondoHub/dp/B007RRTCUI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1467121567&sr=8-3&keywords=manhattan+usb+hub

With all 30 of the iPads plugged in, Apple Configurator only sees a random number that has been between 10-14 units. I am pretty sure this is a fight for current. After looking around, I have seen vague references to "Apple Certified" USB hubs but nothing concrete. Can anyone recommend a 30 port USB that can handle the job?

TIA,

/randy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

JKingsnorth
Contributor

Currently Bretford is the only company that makes products that support that amount of devices reliably.

It is a fight for current, each iPad generally requires 2 amps. I couldn't really find any type of actual answer online about the total amps that specific product provides. To do 28 ports all at once you would need a 56 amp USB Hub, minimum.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

gburgess
New Contributor III

I guess a solution would vary on what the cart looks like on the inside. We've generally gone with the Bretford Apple carts when we need storage.

When I have situations when there isn't a cart, or if I'm just doing work in the office, I use this: Power Sync D20.

There are other options, again depending on your need. A quick search brought me this.

The power and performance needed to sync and charge at the same time can get expensive. I can say though that having the D20 on hand has saved me a few times. Granted, now that we're moving more DEP and VPP oriented, I'm hoping that I don't have to use the sync part of the carts as much any more.

iOSGenius
New Contributor III

We have also used Bretford Carts and syncing works as the cart has built in USB Ports inside the cart and then 1 usb to connect to our Mac Mini or Macbook Air to sync.

Though we moved away from this and use Casper for syncing and deployment - freed up time and maintenance so much flexibility.

Though prior to our cart with use a USB Hub 2.0 powered of 20 ports and worked on and off some would populate and some work.

Going with burgees suggestion if you do not have a cart that supports built in USB Ports then the D20 seems to work with others as reading the reviews.

Also pull out the sleeves in the cart that divide the iPads, you may have USB ports but with the sleeves it is sometimes hard to see inside of the back of cart.

Sifu

JKingsnorth
Contributor

Currently Bretford is the only company that makes products that support that amount of devices reliably.

It is a fight for current, each iPad generally requires 2 amps. I couldn't really find any type of actual answer online about the total amps that specific product provides. To do 28 ports all at once you would need a 56 amp USB Hub, minimum.

Randydid
Contributor II

@JKingsnorth I recognized it was an Ohm's Law issue right away.

The Buy now link for the D20 lead to Apple but not the product. Did they drop them?

Thanks everyone for confirming what I suspected. I will report to my managers. ;-)

It is unfortunate that this department bought before actually consulting my group.

Thanks again!

/randy

gburgess
New Contributor III

Randy,

Here's the link for the lightning version of the D20. It's in the small business section of the store, but it will get you started. I would just contact your Apple Rep for information. You'd be looking at Part Number: HC817LL/A

Greg

JKingsnorth
Contributor

We use the D20 as well. Nice product. We bought the lightning version as well but the cables can be swapped with almost any Apple Certified cable.

RKauffman
New Contributor II

By chance are you using a newer Macbook that has USB 3.0 ports on it? I had the same issue and called apple support thinking the Macbook was bad because the older Macbook saw them all. It turns out the Macbooks with the 3.0 ports have some weird thing enabled to only see up to a certain number of USB devices.

Apple had me run a terminal command
sudo nvram usb-options="%01%00%00%00"
This removes that limit and allows the MacBook to talk to as many devices as needed.
If this limit for some reason needs to be re-enabled the command is
sudo nvram -d usb-options

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

Some products use USB technology from Cambrionix under the hood - they should be able to handle that many connections. I have used a 49 port Datamation with 30+ iPads simultaneous.

rfaruk
New Contributor II

To troubleshoot this issue:

Log onto you Mac as an Administrator
Go to Applications/Utilities and double-click on Terminal
Enter the following command:
sudo nvram usb-options="%01%00%00%00"
Hit Return
Restart your Mac
Note: To revert this setting back to its defaults, go back to Terminal and enter :

sudo nvram -d usb-options
Hit Return and restart your Mac.

ajenk
New Contributor

We have used Datamation Systems carts with Cambrionix USB and have had no trouble with managing or charging.