Ipads unable to connect to wifi

CHTFamSupport
New Contributor

Have three Ipads connected to Jamf on the laptop. We were playing at locking down their wifi capabilities and created a wifi connection and whitelisted the wifi option in restrictions.

Now ipads appear unconnected to anything but also are "Restricted" in wifi section on Ipad.

How do I get these back online?

10 REPLIES 10

ehstein
New Contributor II

I have an iPad (1 of 100 with identical scopes) that have the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth settings grayed out. Any thoughts on this?
Thanks!!

jmandler
New Contributor III

Best bet would be to connect them to a Mac running Mobile Configurator. If the devices are supervised and you have the same supervision identity, you should be able to manually push or remove profiles that affect wifi connectivity.

larry_barrett
Valued Contributor

Wipe it and start over. 1 in 100 isn't a problem, it's an opportunity for a fresh start.

ehstein
New Contributor II

Thanks for the suggestions @jmandler and @larry_barrett. I actually beat you to both of those thoughts.

I shared my laptop's Internet connection over USB so that the iPad could connect to the Internet and pushed out the configs again -- no dice.

Then I did a full wipe and re-enrolled the device through DEP > pre-stage enrollment, etc -- no dice.

Is it possible/likely there's a hardware malfunction that's preventing the iPadOS from activating the Wi-Fi settings? (the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth switches are greyed out)

Thanks!

larry_barrett
Valued Contributor

What model iPad? What OS?

ehstein
New Contributor II

iPad 7th Gen
iOS Version: 14.2
iOS Build: 18B92

mschroder
Valued Contributor

Does your environment require the devices MAC to be registered? Is the 'private MAC' option enabled on this device? Do you use a WiFi config profile? If yes I would exclude this device from that profile and do another DFU.

ehstein
New Contributor II

A) We do not require the MAC to be registered.
B) The Wi-Fi (and Bluetooth) settings in the Settings app are greyed out which I think is strange.
C) Yes, we have a Wi-Fi config, but even after the DFU, the device doesn't want to connect to Wi-Fi even to pull in the initial configs.

It's brand new - it's been successfully deployed in the classroom for ~ 3 weeks. What are the chances it has a faulty piece of hardware?

ehstein
New Contributor II

Hey gang, should I assume this is likely a hardware failure? Is Wi-Fi hardware failure common among this model iPad? Or is this really likely a software issue?

larry_barrett
Valued Contributor

If it's under Warranty Apple will just fix it for you. Contact your sales rep.

Make sure you delete the record when you wipe it and exclude it from your WIFI configuration. Then see if you can manually join it.