is already scheduled for management.

sletts
New Contributor

Hi,

I am trying to deploy some apps to our school iPads however one iPad keeps spitting:

"app* is already scheduled for management."

This has been happening for a week. Is there any fix?

55 REPLIES 55

sletts
New Contributor

I guess this is a bug?

St0rMl0rD
Contributor III

We're seeing this all over the place.

Mike-C__
New Contributor

Are you guys still seeing this? We are pushing out the Self-Service app and we are seeing this on some of the devices.

sgoetz
Contributor

Hey Guys,

If you go into the JSS and click Mobile Devices. Find the iPad that is having problems and click on it for details. Than click the History tab. There you should see Apps. Click that. You will have 3 tabs. One of them stating pending. You can clear that out and do a new inventory update on that iPad. It should push it out that time.

noahb5
New Contributor II

@sgoetz That seems to not be working. I go under history, clear the failed install, update the inventory and attempt the download again, and it fails with the same message.

sgoetz
Contributor

Hey @noahb5 Sorry you are having problems. I forgot to mention one thing. Delete the App from the iPad first. Than go through the steps.

noahb5
New Contributor II

@sgoetz Thanks, but this was still not allowing us to download it. I tried downloading it from the Official App store as well (not the Self-service). It failed. We switched VLANs and it is working fine. No idea. We are utilizing cache servers... perhaps something was caching improperly and a new IP address resolved it.

Thanks for your reply.

nmyers
New Contributor

@noahb5 have you had any issues since? i am having the same issue.. "app* is already scheduled for management."

St0rMl0rD
Contributor III

We still see this. We have cleared all failed commands for all of our mobile devices yesterday, so we'll see if that helps. Because the issue we've been having because of this is that the apps themselves get stuck during the loading process on the iPads and never install. To overcome this issue, the failed command for that app will be displayed in the list of the failed commands "app is already scheduled for management", so that command has to be cleared, and then the inventory update is done, and then the app installs.

We're using multiple instances of the caching server on the latest macOS Sierra version.

Anyone else out there seeing this?

nmyers
New Contributor

We are seeing this as well. I can't delete the app because it is grey'd out on the home screen, and when I try to delete it, it doesn't go away. In Jamf under Inventory, its not listed as installed. The app does not show up under manage storage on the device so it can't be removed that way. I have tried resetting all settings, installing from self service, clearing out all the failed commands, etc.. The only remedy I have found is to wipe the iPad and start over. Any answers or something else to try?

St0rMl0rD
Contributor III

@nmyers if you cancel all failed commands for the device, and refresh the inventory, it doesn't work for you? It works for us (but we're using a caching server).

nmyers
New Contributor

@St0rMl0rD We are as well, and no, that hasn't worked. After you clear the failed commands and try to reinstall it automatically fails again. For today, the work around has been restoring from a backup on another iPad. If you do that, the apps load fine. Not ideal, but has gotten us through the day. If you're not worried about data loss, you can erase all content and settings, do not restore from a backup, and the apps will reload fine. We have been restoring onto a different device to preserve all data in case the backup fails.

St0rMl0rD
Contributor III

@nmyers we have contacted JAMF Support about this, I'm curious what they'll say. We have the same issue where the apps that are "updating" don't actually update, but stay in this limbo, and JSS says that they're already scheduled for management. This is a big issue for us, the biggest one we currently have with JSS.

dringelestein
New Contributor

I am seeing this too, on multiple iPads, there doesn't really seem to be a common thread in the devices. Deleting the failed commands isn't working, and we do nightly backups so the database is "repaired" nightly as well. We've talked to support and it doesn't appear that they have a solid idea about what is going on, either.

Waiting anxiously . . .

ross_burdick
New Contributor II

We are seeing this as well, I have cleared all the failed commands, pushed an inventory update, and then waited, but the same already managed error shows up. We have a caching server set up in the building that this is occurring. Don't have the time to backup and restore. I am also holding my breath, we've only been running Casper for a bit over a month, and administration is beginning to doubt us.

murph
New Contributor III

We've been seeing this since the 9.96 update was installed along with iOS 10. It's been very annoying.

I just chalk this up to another VPP related piece that has a bug in it on the JSS.

It's been a frustrating year trying to reliably implement Device Based App Assignments with Casper.

hsekiv
Contributor

I've also noticed this issue this past week with 9.96 and iOS 10. Good to know it's nothing I was doing wrong, but frustrating for new teacher iPads which don't have all of the apps.

St0rMl0rD
Contributor III

What we are currently seeing is that this behaviour seems to be a combination of two things - caching server being turned on and the webfilter not allowing the apps to install. What we see as the result is the failed command (app is already scheduled for management), which is correct. But in fact, the app can't install for other reasons, as I stated above. After we have disabled our caching server, the app installations work much better (albeit much slower), but some of the apps still cannot update. Those apps, on the device, get to about 60% of loading state and then display the error (app could not be downloaded at this time). If we bypass the web filter and connect to a non-filtered network, the app installs immediately. We also see that the web filter is blocking this app for some reason, so we have opened up a case with our webfilter vendor to eliminate the issue.

So everyone that is experiencing the same issue, try these two things if possible - turn off the caching server, and then if that doesn't help with these issues, try bypassing the webfilter as well.

murph
New Contributor III

We've tried bypassing the caching server and webfilter and it doesn't help on ours.

St0rMl0rD
Contributor III

@smurphyusd346 what does JAMF say?

murph
New Contributor III

@St0rMl0rD It's been a couple of weeks since I last spoke with them, but they believe it is a defect that they are working on resolving now.

I'm now probably up to around a half a dozen defects that I've hit this past year, with several of them still not fixed around device based deployment and VPP. Just curious who determines there is a defect and if they ever make it to the engineers working on the product?

I kind of wished I got paid by the hour as one of the defects keeps reinstalling the iOS apps on a device after setup for about 30 minutes when the devices finally catches up to the install commands and completes. We have one group of student iPads that get around 40 or so apps and it likes to reinstall some of them five or six times during the initial push. It's such a waste of my time and our bandwidth.

RLR
Valued Contributor
It's been a couple of weeks since I last spoke with them, but they believe it is a defect that they are working on resolving now. I'm now probably up to around a half a dozen defects that I've hit this past year, with several of them still not fixed around device based deployment and VPP. Just curious who determines there is a defect and if they ever make it to the engineers working on the product? I kind of wished I got paid by the hour as one of the defects keeps reinstalling the iOS apps on a device after setup for about 30 minutes when the devices finally catches up to the install commands and completes. We have one group of student iPads that get around 40 or so apps and it likes to reinstall some of them five or six times during the initial push. It's such a waste of my time and our bandwidth.

I've seen the same issues with our device based assignments. Some apps fail to install and I have to continuously clear failed commands to try again.

I've also seen the apps re-installing themselves during their initial setup. I've got a case open at the moment which I'm being told they can't replicate so not really getting anywhere with it.

St0rMl0rD
Contributor III

Yep, seeing the same here. But since we see it also has something to do with the caching server, we just submitted an iOS diagnosys back to Apple with log results from the diag profile they provided us with. Let's see what they say.

dmillertds
Contributor

Just to add my .02 - been seeing the exact same thing for weeks, since upgrading to 9.96 and IOS 9.3.2 through 10.0.2. Many apps never get installed, and some that do get continuously reinstalled (I'm looking at you, Google Drive). We do NOT have a caching server, FWIW. I and my teachers are also getting very frustrated. I did get a suggestion from our Apple SE to try deployment with the iPads outside our firewall, but that's not an easy thing to attempt en mass, especially with school in session. Still may try it though, if I can figure out a reasonably quick way to do so.

murph
New Contributor III

On a potentially separate bug, we are seeing a lot of the following errors too:

License for app “com.educreations.ios.Educreations” could not be found.

This happens for various apps and they all have tens to hundreds of available licenses available. This is happening when the system is trying to automatically update the app.

RLR
Valued Contributor

I've just had this response from Jamf Support:

So best practice to avoid that(reinstallation of apps during first initial setup), will be to deploy apps via Self Service or don't set apps to Install automatically until the device has been enrolled for one day. Reviewing apps which we got scoped and taking those big ones to manual installation or putting them to be installed in different way not straight after enrollment would probably help. I can already see that this defect has been filed and fixed with version 10.0 so as soon as it will be released we shouldn't face that problem anymore. I will attach this case to PI which we got in place, at this stage we won't be able to do anything more.

Emmert
Valued Contributor

Argh! After upgrading to 9.96 last night in a vain attempt to fix something else, it looks like this is broken now. Just got a student down in my office that cannot get Self Service. They kind of need it. What's the ETA on 10?

collinsjd
New Contributor

I am having the same issue on most, if not all of my iPads. I have a call scheduled in just over an hour with an engineer. I have no interest in wiping iPads to fix this. THAT would be ridiculous.

murph
New Contributor III

@collinsjd Did you get anywhere with the engineer on this issue?

sprovost
New Contributor III

GRRRRRRRR!!!!!
I am having all the issues listed above.
We have kept the casper jss updated to the latest version that is released
we have turned off cache servers, but that slows app installs from seconds to minutes!
wiping iPads is not a fix when you are staring at 1600 devices in use this year.
I don't see much reply from jamf about this issue.
Waiting for replies as well stephen

aaronkerrgfs
New Contributor

I'm experiencing this issue on a regular basis. I've tried the fixes mentioned above, including clearing all failed commands, un-scoping the app to the device, and then pushing it again.

We're seeing the issue with an in-house app we're distributing. We don't have any type of caching server.

We're on 9.96 as well.

St0rMl0rD
Contributor III

First instance today where we see this bug and cannot resolve it. Up until now, clearing the failed command and reissuing the inventory update has solved it, but not on this iOS 10 device. Even unscoped the device from the scope of the app (app isn't installed yet, so no update, but install), and rescoping it, but to no avail. iOS 10.0.2, latest JSS. Have submitted a support ticket to JAMF, let's see what they say.

murph
New Contributor III

@St0rMl0rD Today I Erased All Settings on a device, and that solved it so far on that device. That device had four apps that were not updating and hadn't updated for the last six weeks or so.

I cleared the failed commands after the selecting Erase All Settings on the device, and then did an inventory update after the device restarted and it started updating those four apps.

I hadn't tried the Erase All Settings in the past, but a restore in the past had fixed it.

msnowdon
Contributor

Ive been seeing this issue for a while now even before upgrading to JSS 9.96. I usually just clear the commands. The time on the failed commands is right after the JSS is supposed to auto update the apps at 12:00am.

After doing some searching it looks like other MDMs are seeing the same issue so it doesnt look like it's a JAMF issue. According to this blog, it had to do with a user's iTunes account:

http://smhelp.meraki.com/forums/234177-help-topics/suggestions/13441350-ios-9-3-1-app-already-scheduled-for-management

If we are using Device based management, there shouldnt be any need to login into the app store, correct? Maybe we can disable them with a Restrictions profile?

alex_wyatt
New Contributor II
If we are using Device based management, there shouldnt be any need to login into the app store, correct? Maybe we can disable them with a Restrictions profile?

Only if you opt not to allow any users any autonomy. We're experiencing this issue too, and it seems completely random. It even affects teachers (who we want to be able to get to the App Store on their own)

St0rMl0rD
Contributor III

@alex.wyatt that isn't necessary. You can use the device based app distribution and STILL allow users to download apps on their own additionally - that's how we do that here. This way, whenever a new user joins our organisation, they are ready to go with all the basic apps that are automatically installed, but if they want to install more on their own, they can use an Apple ID to do that, and it works perfectly.

alex_wyatt
New Contributor II

@St0rMl0rD Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that the two were mutually exclusive. What I meant was that the only way to get away with disabling the option to log into the app store would be to totally remove any autonomy on the part of the user, ie a fully-managed app ecosystem. If they're ever going to be able to download apps on their own, they absolutely need an AppleID (and not a Managed AppleID, as those don't have eCommerce rights)

hsekiv
Contributor

I'm seeing this issue randomly on our teacher iPads. The only thing that had worked so far is to backup and restore the iPad with the problem. No data was lost and the pending apps installed without any issues after the restore. We only have about 30 teacher iPads so I will be trying this again on a few others to see if the fix is consistent.

lehmanp00
Contributor III

Any more info on this issue? We have not seen this at all until the last few weeks. JSS 9.97 and iOS 10.2.1 devices.